Marjorie (Iwai) Maas–Art History Alum Update

Dr. Sara Orel (Art History) put out a call on Facebook recently for information on what Art History alumni were up to. We were overwhelmed not only by the wonderful response but also all the great things that our alums are doing. So, this summer the blog will feature updates on all that great stuff!  The most recent post appears below:

Marjorie writes:

"For the first 10 years after graduation, I was on a consistent arts administration path, mostly in the vein of marketing and communications. My last arts admin position was as director of Nebraskans for the Arts, the statewide organization focused on arts funding and arts education public policy. A wonderful position in many regards, but I felt a pull to see if my talents and experience could be applied outside of the arts sector.

Just in the last two months I have begun the work of development officer, a fundraising position, with College Possible, a national college access and success nonprofit organization with a newer operations in Omaha. I'm loving it. My decision to pursue higher education, and my decision to attend Truman State was a huge victory and formative season in my life. Also, my father's generation greatly changed our family's trajectory when they attended college – the first generation to do so. The work College Possible does to connect kids to college opportunities and graduation on their own merit highly motivates me.

I am seeking board level involvement with an art nonprofit, and I am excited to be on the patron and enthusiast side of the sector for the current time. My husband and I also have two young children, ages 2 and 7, that keep us extremely busy – we highly enjoy exposing them to visual and performing arts experiences and instruction."

Congratulations, Marjorie!

If you are an alum of the Art Department and have news to share, we'd love to hear from you!  art@truman.edu.