Bryna Campbell–Art History Alum Update

Dr. Sara Orel (Art History) put out a call on Facebook recently for information on what Art History alumni were up to. We were overwhelmed not only by the wonderful response but also all the great things that our alums are doing. So, this summer the blog will feature updates on all that great stuff!  The most recent post appears below:

Bryna Campbell writes:

"I am currently finishing my PhD from Washington University in St. Louis. This past year I was awarded a Dissertation Fellowship from Washington University and a Robert Lehman Foundation Dissertation Fellowship from the Rockwell Center for American Visual Studies in Stockbridge, MA. Both have helped to support my writing and research on my dissertation, “The Comic Grotesque: Satirizing the Body Politic in American Graphic Satire, 1925-1945.”

Last year, I was also our Department's representative at the Art Institute of Chicago’s annual Graduate Student Seminar, delivering a paper entitled “Sending Up Subjectivity: Elaine de Kooning’s Male  Portrait Series, 1949-1963.” I also recently completed the article, “Radical Regionalism in American Art: The Case of Joe Jones,” which will be published in the forthcoming anthology, Regionalists
on the Left
, sometime this year.

In the fall of 2012, I moved to Portland, OR, with my husband Mike Murawski (also an Art History alum), where I am finishing my dissertation. I plan to defend my degree in November 2013, and will be working as a lecturer at Portland State University next year. When not working on the dissertation, I enjoy day trips and hiking in the mountains with Mike and our son Holden."

Congratulations, Bryna!

If you are an alum of the Art Department and have news to share, we'd love to hear from you!  Please contact us at art@truman.edu.