September 28, 2012
Truman Faculty Forum Talk by Dr. Mohler on October 3
If you can’t trust your friends… :
what to believe when your peers disagree with you
Professor of Philosophy and Religion
Wednesday, October 3, 2012 at 7:00pm
In the Student Union Building, Georgian Room B
Factual disagreements with people whose opinion we value are regular occurrences in the course of daily life. Should we change our beliefs when they come into conflict with those whose skill and judgement we respect? On the one hand, we might worry that moving away from our own beliefs makes us wishy-washy. On the other hand, it looks like our respect for others’ ability to judge some matters requires some sort of deference to their points of view. This talk will consider the question of what to believe in the face of disagreement with those whose judgment we value. We’ll try to clarify the consequences of taking various positions on this important question in epistemology.
September 11, 2012
Call for Papers: Truman’s 2012 Philosophy and Religion Conference
23rd Annual Undergraduate Philosophy & Religion Conference
Saturday, November 10, 2012
Alumni Room, Student Union Building
Hosted by the Truman State University Department of Philosophy & Religion
Dr. Richard Fumerton
University of Iowa
Call for Papers
- Submissions must be postmarked or emailed by Friday, October 8, 2012.
- Submit papers of approximately 10-15 pages in any area of philosophy or religious studies.
- Include cover sheet with name, institution, title of paper, address, email, and telephone number.
- Include papers in hard or emailed copy without personal information but with paper’s title on the front.
- If accepted, authors will provide a 100-word abstract by email.
- Presentations should be approximately 30 minutes, including time for questions.
Email submissions to Dr. David Murphy at email@example.com, or mail them to him at
Dr. David Murphy
Re: PHRE Undergraduate Conference
Department of Philosophy and Religion
School of Social and Cultural Studies
Truman State University
100 E. Normal
Kirksville, MO 63501
For more information, contact Samantha Wickam at firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. David Murphy at email@example.com, (660) 785-7246.
September 5, 2012
Guidelines for a well-known ethics essay contest
Click the link below to access a PDF of guidelines for the Elie Wiesel Foundation’s 2013 ethics essay contest:
Elie Wiesel 2013 Ethics Essay Contest Guidelines