Realignment of Student AffairsMay 27, 2021
Dear Truman Community:
I hope your summer has begun well. At the start of the new academic year, we will begin our work in earnest to make a positive impact on the eight foundational metrics of our new strategic plan. To successfully realize the promise of the strategic plan, we must have an integrated approach to our efforts. To support this integrated approach, Student Affairs is being reimagined to a new unit of Student Life with a primary focus on elevating the student experience, and there will be a realignment of reporting lines for some departments in Student Affairs.
Beginning July 1, 2021:
- To provide a strengthened focus on enriching the student experience, the Bookstore, Campus Recreation, Citizenship and Community Standards, Student Health Center, University Counseling Center, and Union and Involvement Services will comprise the new unit of Student Life. Janna Stoskopf will assume the new role of Dean of Student Life.
- To enhance the essential role Residence Life plays in student recruitment and retention, Residence Life will move from Student Affairs to Enrollment Management and Marketing. Given its close connection with Residence Life, Sodexo will also move to Enrollment Management and Marketing.
- To provide seamless advising across a student’s time at Truman, the Career Center will move from Student Affairs to Academic Affairs.
- To provide a strong foundation from which to launch a unified and intentional approach to diversity and inclusion that includes strong academic components, The Center for Diversity and Inclusion will move from Student Affairs to Academic Affairs.
- With a strong connection to student retention, the Student Access and Disability Services Office will move from Student Affairs to Academic Affairs.
This is a realignment of reporting lines; no positions are being eliminated. The purpose of the realignment is to enhance the realization of our new strategic plan and bolster our efforts in elevating the student experience.