Dear Truman Community,
Our campus community is seeing incredible spread right now.
In the past 12 days, our campus has seen 76 people recover from COVID-19 and 28 active COVID-19 cases.
Given this spread people should be vigilant about layering prevention methods.
- Wear a mask. If you have not done so, upgrade your mask by double masking, adding a filter, or getting a KN95, KF94, or N95.
- Keep your distance and limit in-person events. We should be doing as much as we can online. The higher the cases the greater the use of our resources.
- Get vaccinated. The reinfection rate with Omicron is higher than Delta’s reinfection rate; it is not safe to assume that natural immunity will provide protection against serious illness and death.
- If you have any cold-like or flu-like symptoms, get tested. Many cases of omicron do not include loss of taste and smell, so get tested even if you do not have those particular symptoms
- If you have been vaccinated with a mRNA vaccine (Moderna or Pfizer) and are five months past your second dose, go get a booster. If you are two months past your J&J vaccine, get a mRNA booster (Moderna or Pfizer). Breakthrough infections who had a booster are experiencing the mildest form of infection. Despite the new variant, vaccines continue to protect you by keeping you out of the hospital and from dying.
Given the surge, the health department is currently performing the contact tracing for the campus. Be mindful in meetings about who you are near. Maintain seating charts in your classroom and encourage students to get the contact information for those within 6 feet of them. This will help everyone be ready to identify close contacts.
Every household is eligible to receive four at-home COVID tests, via this link, until they run out:
Links for updated case numbers:
- Truman Case Counts, updated weekly: https://www.truman.edu/coronavirus/reporting/
- Current Adair County Numbers: https://covidactnow.org/us/missouri-mo/county/adair_county/?s=28201705
- CDC Data Tracker: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker
Local links of interest:
- Truman’s COVID-19 Information portal: https://www.truman.edu/coronavirus/
- Adair County Health Department: https://adair.lphamo.org/
Our COVID-19 working group is not regularly active this semester, and we do not plan to send out weekly videos.
If you have questions about moving classes or activities online, talk to your chair or supervisor.
– Nancy Daley-Moore, PhD, Health Science
Christine Harker, PhD, English
Scott Alberts, PhD, Statistics