Dear Campus Community:
With the beginning of the Spring 2021 semester, please review the updated policies below regarding special leave and telecommuting options due to the pandemic:
Expanded Leave Options:
Families First Coronavirus Response Act:
- Emergency Sick Leave and Emergency FMLA expired on December 31, 2020. However, employers may voluntarily extend that leave through March 31, 2021. This extension does not replenish the amount of leave offered to each employee. Employees who used their 80 hours of Emergency Sick Leave and/or 12 weeks of Emergency FMLA in 2020 will no longer be eligible for this leave.
- Employees who did not use all of the allotted leave in 2020 may still be eligible. Contact Human Resources with questions at 660-785-4031. More information about the FFCRA and the required forms may be found HERE.
Employees affected by school and daycare closures:
- Employees who need to care for immediate family members due to closures or limits of schools or daycares may use up to 30 days of sick leave for that purpose.
- Employees also may use vacation leave for this purpose and, if needed, may use up to 15 days of vacation leave before it is earned. It will be tracked as a negative balance and will later be replenished with future accruals.
If an employee becomes sick, cannot work through telecommuting arrangements and has insufficient accrued paid leave, the employee may use up to 15 days of vacation leave before it has been earned, to be replenished later with future accruals.
Employees unable to telecommute:
- Employees who are directed to quarantine or isolate due to COVID-19 and who are unable to telecommute may use sick, vacation or compensatory leave, and if needed, may use up to 15 days of vacation leave before it is earned. It will be tracked as a negative balance and will later be replenished with future accruals.
- Telecommuting arrangements may be requested by employees under the following circumstances: the employee has a medical condition that puts the employee at increased risk for COVID-19, the employee has been directed to quarantine or isolate due to COVID-19, or the employee has children unable to attend school or daycare due to COVID-19. All other faculty and staff are expected to work on campus, unless the employee was hired with a remote work arrangement or unless directed to work remotely by a supervisor.
- Faculty and staff who received an accommodation to work from home during the Fall 2020 semester due to a medical condition may continue to receive that same accommodation for the Spring 2021 semester without submitting new documentation.
- Employees requesting to work from home for the first time should complete the Telecommuting Request Form, available HERE. Supervisors should work with their employees to complete the form, including a detailed plan for a daily schedule and work assignments, and then submit the form to the appropriate member of the Executive Leadership Team or their designees for final approval. This plan also must be reviewed by Human Resources.
Please contact Human Resources with any questions.