Fitzpatrick Awarded NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship

JamieJamie Fitzpatrick, ES (’18), has been awarded a NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship. Created in 1964, the scholarship promotes and encourages graduate education by rewarding the Association’s most accomplished student-athletes through their participation in NCAA championship and/or emerging sports. Athletics and academic achievements, campus involvement, community service, volunteer activities and demonstrated leadership are evaluated. An equitable approach is employed in reviewing an applicant’s nomination form to provide all student-athlete nominees an opportunity to receive the graduate award, regardless of sport, division, gender or race. The one-time non-renewable scholarships of $7,500 are awarded three times a year corresponding to each sport season (fall, winter and spring). Each sports season there are 29 scholarships available for men and 29 scholarships available for women for use in an accredited graduate program.”

Jamie graduated with an exercise science major and a biology and disability studies minor in May  2018. She will be attending Washington University in St. Louis for PT school in Fall 2018. She is originally from St. Louis and graduated from Kirkwood High in 2014, where she swam and ultimately was recruited by Truman. While at Truman, Jamie competed at the GLVC conference meet four years, as well as the NCAA meet three years. She qualified for NCAA on relays during her sophomore and junior years. During Jamie’s senior year, she qualified in individual events as well as relays.

Jamie found this scholarship online and decided to apply. She is excited to represent our school on the big stage, so to say. Jamie says, “I think my steady improvements in swimming and having a best season my senior year, along with all of the hard work in my classes and getting accepted at Wash U, along with the generous letters of rec from my coach and professors are what led to me getting chosen. I’m just really happy I decided to apply even though I knew there was a much larger field and not really knowing my odds. I hope other soon-to-be-senior Truman athletes see this and are inspired to apply in the years to come! You never know until you try!”