HES Alumna Xavier Vaughn Reports on Experiences Gained Through Truman HES

“After I graduated, I started working for the Primaris Foundation as an insurance counselor. I assisted consumers with their marketplace or Medicaid applications during open enrollment. During non-open enrollment periods I did outreach in one of my designated three counties. I recently changed positions to be the MIPPA Outreach Coordinator and Regional Liaison, which is a part of the Missouri State Health Insurance Assistance Program. The goal of the MIPPA project is to identify a

nd assist Medicare beneficiaries in rural and low income areas statewide in applying for federal and state benefits that may assist the consumer in lowering their healthcare costs. In both positions at the foundation, having my CHES is what got me hired. In June I started an online MPH program with a concentration in Healthcare Organization through the University of Alabama Birmingham. The education I received while at Truman has made working full-time while going to graduate school full-time much easier because the core classes are a review for me. My advice to current or prospective students is to take advantage of all of the great opportunities the HES Department offers. Those knowledge, skills, and abilities are invaluable and will look great on a resume.”

-Xavier Vaughn (’16) Health Science, minor in Business Administration