Mason Einspahr, Health Science Senior, Featured in Index Article

Every bowler dreams of 300 — the score of a perfect game. For one Truman State student, that game was missed by a mere three points on the final ball.

During his freshman year, senior Mason Einspahr bowled a 297 — a near perfect score.

“It’s close,” Mason said. “It was almost 300, but the very last ball I got a seven instead of a strike.”

This 297 did not come easily and only served as a single moment in a life-long passion, coming after years of practice and an entire childhood of bowling.

“There are some pictures of me being 2 or 3 and my dad is sitting behind me helping me push the ball,” Mason said.

For Mason, bowling is a family affair. He said both his parents bowled in leagues at B&J Bowl in Boonville, Mo., owned by family friends.

Mason said he joined an official league at 5 years old, but it wasn’t until around age 12 that he began competing in more serious tournaments with larger numbers of competitors and more experienced bowlers. Boasting a gold medal at the 2005 Show-Me State Games and various other achievements, Einspahr said he has competed at tournaments throughout Missouri and the Midwest.

At the end of May, he will bowl at nationals for the first time. This tournament will have stringent rules including dress codes, lane courtesy laws and serious weigh-ins for each person’s ball, Mason said.

Good Luck at Nationals, Mason!

For the full Index article, click here