Lincoln McCoy

Lincoln McCoy

January 18, 2022

Lincoln McCoy (2021)

Lincoln McCoy is a Product Manager in Kansas City, currently working for LTN Global in their Production department.  He grew up in Liberty and went to Liberty North High School before attending Truman. After he graduated in 2017, he worked and lived in Kirksville as an Admissions Counselor for Truman. In his free time Lincoln likes spending time with his wife Mary and friends. He also likes whittling, and playing the guitar and banjo.

What year did you graduate and what was your concentration?

I graduated in 2017 with a concentration in Public Communication.

What extra-/co-curricular activities did you do?

I was involved in Beta Theta Pi Social Fraternity and Tag Improv (Truman’s Comedy Improv Group).

Lincoln (3rd fr left) and Tag Improv (2016).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where?  Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

No, I did not go to grad school.

The Truman Admission Staff (2018).

What was your first job after graduation?

Truman State University Admissions office as an Admissions Counselor.

What work do you do/What are you doing now?

I’m working as a Product Manager at LTN Global. I work for the TV production branch of LTN Global and Price TV productions.

How has your Liberal Arts/COMM education helped you?

My COMM/ Liberal Arts gave me an extremely well rounded education. It harnessed both my creative and intellectual education so I could adapt to any challenge in the workforce.

Which class did you dislike at the time you took it, but now you’re grateful you took it?

Rhetoric and Civic Life was the first C grade that I had ever received in my life. I actually liked Rhetoric a lot, but it woke me up to the amount of time I needed to put into my college studies. Rhetoric set me up to be successful in college.

What was your greatest accomplishment at Truman?

My greatest accomplishments at Truman were the friends that I made. I had made friends at Truman that not only made a massive impact in my college career, but that are also life long friends. I got married last April and the majority of the guys standing next to me when I said “I do” were the friends I made at Truman. Not to mention the woman that thankfully said “I do” back to me is also a Truman Alumni.

Lincoln and his bride getting photo-bombed at their wedding (2019).

Why is Truman a good place for a student to study?

Truman is, no doubt, a school that will prepare you for whatever your next step is . . . and then it will prepare you for your next 10 steps. The most valuable thing that Truman did for me is it taught me how to think critically.

What would you say a COMM student should absolutely do while at Truman?

A COMM student should absolutely get involved with the radio station (KTRM-FM), newspaper (The Index), or broadcasts (KTRM-Studios). These are all great outlets that let students have a lot of creative freedom and are great resume boosters.

What advice would you give someone who wants to go into the same line of work as you?

If you want to go into sports production then get involved as a freelancer ASAP! There are a lot of learning opportunities within the industry that will pay you to be a part of a production. Also, meeting people while working is a big part of finding a job in the future.

Lincoln working in the Dan Le Batard control room (2021).

What do you miss most about campus/Kirksville?

I miss being so close to friends. Kirksville is unique because you can just walk out the door and throw a rock in any direction and hit a friend’s house. There’s a special comradery that Kirksville and Truman had to offer that you really don’t get in the city.

What tag line would you create for the COMM department at Truman?

“COMM by and give Communication a try.”

If you could come back to Truman and teach a class for a semester, what would be its title and what would it be about?

I would come back and teach a sports broadcasting course. I would start up a course that covered Truman’s Athletics and gave students hands-on experience with productions that went to digital platform.

Paraympics Friends & Family control room (2021).

I got to produce for the Friends and Family portion of the Paralympics on NBC. The pandemic didn’t allow for friends and family to be present during their athletes’ big day and LTN Global was able to help bring families and friends together for interviews after competing. It was so rewarding to be able to connect athletes with their family members right after such a big moment in their life.

If you would like to learn more of Lincoln’s story, or you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!