Megan Vincent

Megan Vincent

November 9, 2021

Megan Vincent (2020)

Megan Vincent is a proud Bulldog and Tiger. After graduating Truman, she moved to Columbia, MO to begin law school at Mizzou and graduated in 2018. Megan is currently a Senior Assistant Prosecuting Attorney at the Greene County Prosecutor’s Office in Springfield, MO. Megan works in the Person’s Unit, prosecuting domestic violence and crimes of a sexually violent nature. When not in the courthouse, Megan enjoys girls’ weekends with her best friends, sib-trips, and keeping up with pop culture.

What year did you graduate, and what was your concentration?

I graduated from Truman in 2015, and I graduated with a concentration in Public Communication. I also had a minor in Justice Systems.

What extra-/co-curricular activities did you do?

I was a member of Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority, and I assisted in planning recruitment every year. I also was a Student Ambassador.

Megan and her friend JoJo walking in for graduation (2015).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where? Was it immediately after you left Truman, or did you wait? Why?

I went to Mizzou Law School right after graduation. I wanted to be a prosecutor since seventh grade, so going straight to law school was a no brainer.

What was your first job after graduation?

Right after law school, I started as an assistant prosecutor with Greene County as a prosecutor in the General Crimes Unit.

What work do you do/What are you doing now?

I currently am a senior prosecutor in the Person’s Unit, which specializes in prosecuting crimes involving children, domestic assault, sexual assault, etc. As a prosecutor, I represent the State of Missouri in jury trials and bench trials, make charging decisions, and advocate for victims’ rights.

Megan (2nd from right) and her law school buddies tailgating (2019).

How has your Liberal Arts/COMM education helped you?

The critical thinking that Truman teaches its students has been an integral part of both law school and my current career. My Communication degree, specifically, has helped me effectively prepare my cases and confidently present my cases to the judge or jury.

Which class did you dislike at the time you took it, but now you’re grateful you took it?

Advertising. While I did not dislike Advertising—I actually truly enjoyed it—there were rigorous group projects that helped me create a final presentation and learn how to work with different personalities. Focusing on a single product for a long period of time also has helped prepare me for finding and focusing on seemingly minute details of my cases.

Friends trip to Sedona, AZ (2021).

What was your greatest accomplishment at Truman?

While I graduated with honors and got into law school, which was a lifelong dream, my greatest accomplishment is my lifelong friendships. In fact, I was a bridesmaid in fellow bulldog Casey Wright’s wedding last October.

Why is Truman a good place for a student to study?

Truman’s small class sizes and small community help students avoid drowning in a sea of people. Professors know their students and want their students to succeed. In a more literal sense, there are a lot of great places to study. I did all my studying and paper-writing in the SUB because the library was too quiet for me. In fact, I still know where my favorite table is.

What would you say a COMM student should absolutely do while at Truman?

First, figure out exactly how much time you need to climb that big hill to get to class. Make sure to give yourself extra time to account for snow.

Second, create good relationships with others. Likely, you will be with the same people in classes until graduation and so many classes require group projects. Truman is competitive, but often times the biggest successes come from supporting each other and truly working together.

What advice would you give someone who wants to go into the same line of work as you?

Megan after officially being sworn in as an attorney (2018).

Take a major that you will enjoy and do well in. Law schools take students from every major. Work hard. Get good grades. Study for the LSAT; however, consider that you may change your mind about law school, so choose a major that is marketable and has a good “Plan B” career option.

What do you miss most about campus/Kirksville?

My friends and I constantly tell each other “Remember when we could walk to each other’s houses?” I miss that. I miss friends coming in unannounced and being walking distance from everyone I love.

Truman’s campus is also so beautiful, especially in the fall.

What tag line would you create for the COMM department at Truman?

“Communication: The foundation of every relationship.”

If you could come back to Truman and teach a class for a semester, what would be its title and what would it be about?

Pop COMM: This would be a course that focused on past or current pop culture events and analyze them using communication theories and communication styles. We would also see how communication and pop culture have changed each other throughout time. I might tweak it a bit, but I think it has potential.

What did we not ask that you think is important for people to know?

Megan (red dress), her brother Michael, and new brother-in-law Chris, with her sister Michelle (another Truman COMM grad) celebrating their wedding (2021).

I have three great pieces of advice:

First, do not wait to take your prerequisite courses until your senior year when Senioritis is taking over. Take them your freshman or sophomore year, so you can take classes you want to take or need to take for your major to finish your college career. Also, do not take the fewest amount of credit hours your freshman and sophomore years. Evenly distribute credit hours or even make your first two years a little heavier, so you can truly enjoy your last year of college without pulling endless all-nighters.

Second, take care of yourself: physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Third, get out of the library. Shut your laptop. Close your books. Work will always be there to greet you. College is a precious four years that you will never get back. It’s four years where you’re supposed to be a little bit irresponsible. Try new things. Get out of your comfort zone. Live a little.

If you would like to learn more of Megan’s story, you can follow her on Instagram.

If you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!