Sarah (Burns) McKeown

Sarah (Burns) McKeown

April 13, 2021

Sarah (Burns) McKeown (2021)

Sarah McKeown works as a graphic designer for a Kansas City-based nonprofit. A native of St. Louis, Sarah graduated from Truman in 2016 with a BFA in Visual Communication and minors in Communication and Photography. She lives in Denver, CO with her husband Jonah and their cat, Patty. In their free time Sarah and Jonah love traveling, hiking, cooking, and watching Parks and Rec.

I graduated in 2016 as a Visual Communication (now Art: Design) major and had minors in Communication and Photography (now Art Studio).

I was on the Student Activities Board and in the sorority Sigma Sigma Sigma. I also worked at Detours Magazine and was a student designer in the Publications Office.

Sarah (left) with some of her friends and fellow seniors in Sigma Sigma Sigma (2015).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where? Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait? Why?

Nope – I went straight to work!

I was a graphic designer for a nonprofit called the American Theatre Guild in Kansas City.

Sarah (left) on assignment in Bolivia for Unbound with coworkers (2019).

I am a graphic designer at a nonprofit called Unbound. It is an international charity that partners with families living in poverty. I also recently launched a small business where I sell my own original art, called Formerbee Design.

My Communication minor went hand in hand with my Visual Communication major. Having an understanding of the best ways to communicate to an audience helps me make work that is better geared towards them. I also am equipped to explain or present different designs that I’ve created to my colleagues – all those group projects and presentations really paid off!

Public speaking. Words are hard. It was a harder class than I expected, but the skills I gained were helpful throughout my time in college and beyond.

Finding true love! My husband is a fellow Truman grad who majored in Communication, and we first met while both working as TAs for one of Dr. Self’s classes (Editor’s note: Tell Jonah I said, “You’re welcome” ).

I think runners up to that were when I finished my senior capstone project for Visual Communication and when I got awarded Outstanding Senior from SAB.

Sarah (3rd from left) with her fellow seniors of the SAB crew and their advisor (2016).

There are a lot of opportunities to take classes outside of your major that can still enhance skills in your field. There are also many organizations you can join that align with your major or interests and will help to build you into a well-rounded person.

Take classes outside of your comfort zone and get involved in student media.

Sarah and her husband at the SAB Holiday Lights event (2015).

Go the extra mile. Not every project requires you to work overtime, but putting in the hours to truly hone your craft rather than skating by from assignment to assignment will help you immensely down the road.

Being able to see all my friends within a short walking distance.

“I scream, you scream, we all scream for terministic screens!” (Editor’s note: I.  Love.  It.)

Combining Puns with your Artwork – There is nothing I enjoy more than the combination of a high quality illustration and well-crafted wordplay!

What did we not ask that you think is important for people to know?

The walk to Barnett really isn’t all that bad. (Editor’s note: Thank you!)

Sarah marching during graduation (pre-downpour) (2016).

If you would like to learn more of Sarah’s story, you can see her art on her webpage or Instagram, or see her full protfolio here.

If you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!