Neosha (Hayes) Franklin

Neosha (Hayes) Franklin

March 10, 2020

Neosha Franklin (2020)

Neosha Franklin is strategist, creator, innovator, connector, and communications enthusiast. Neosha works in the nonprofit sector in St. Louis for the St. Louis Community Foundation as the Marketing & Communications Manager, where she oversee all marketing efforts, focusing on strategic marketing and communications initiatives for key internal and external audiences, digital strategy, social media, media relations, and community relations. She also oversees and manages the annual implementation of Give STL DAY, a 24-hour day of online giving that was started over 6 years ago that has generated over $13 million for STL area nonprofits.  Neosha resides in St. Louis with her amazing 3 year old daughter, Olivia Belle Franklin and loves everything Mickey Mouse and enjoys Disney pin trading.

What year did you graduate and what was your concentration?

I graduated in 2010 with a BA in Communication, Concentration in Public Communication, and a minor in English.

What extra-/co-curricular activities did you do?

I was a member of the Women’s Track and Field team for 3 years. I ran indoor and outdoor track as a sprinter.  I was a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated and served as president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) in 2009-2010.  I was also a student ambassador for Truman.

Neosha flying around the track (2007).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where?  Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

Yes, I attended Lindenwood University immediately after graduating from Truman. I attended graduate school immediately because I did not have a full-time job. At that time, I was attracted to the curriculum at Lindenwood because their communication program was more hands-on – meaning I was able to learn how to code and build websites, learned extensive use of Adobe Photoshop and InDesign and just was able to give me a little more tangible skills that I felt made me more marketable when looking for a job. However, Truman provided me with the foundational elements of communication that helped me understand the evolving field of communication, as well as truly shaping my writing, editing and copy-writing skills.

What was your first job after graduation?

My first job after graduation was as the Communications Technology Specialist at the Francis Howell School District in the Communications Department. I interned at the District during my junior year at Truman. I received credit for the internship which was awesome, and then I was able to establish a relationship with my then supervisor, that I was able to obtain a full-time job. I worked there for 5 years after graduating.

What work do you do/What are you doing now?

I am currently the Marketing and Communications Manager at the St. Louis Community Foundation, a nonprofit organization that inspires purposeful philanthropy that connects community and donors to build and preserve a more equitable and vibrant region, now and forever.

I oversee all marketing efforts of the organization, focusing on strategic marketing and communications initiatives for key internal and external audiences, digital strategy, social media, media relations, and community relations. I also oversee and manage the annual implementation of Give STL Day, a 24-hour, online day-of-giving event, designed to benefit our community’s nonprofits. Last year, the St. Louis community raised $3.1 million for the region’s nonprofits. (I can talk for hours about this program, if you would like more information! This year’s annual event is May 7, 2020).

Neosha (left) and her friend Ana (2008).

I also teach adjunct when the opportunities presents itself…mostly graduate level courses or entry level communications courses. I’ve taught a lot in the online format.

Outside of those duties, I do marketing and communications for my best friend Khalia Collier’s women’s professional basketball team, the St. Louis Surge (@stlsurge on IG).  I oversee communications and marketing strategies for the team and really help serve as a thought partner for her on all things related to marketing. I was the first person she called when she needed her first business and marketing plan! Ironically enough, she purchased the basketball team right after I graduated and I had just completed a marketing plan in a class taught by Dr. Diane Johnson.  That was so helpful and helped get the ball rolling in securing partnerships and building awareness.

How has your Liberal Arts/COMM education helped you?

Wow…I love this question. One of the main reasons that I decided to attend Truman was because of the liberal arts education and curriculum. I wanted to be well-rounded in a variety areas and experiences classes that I’ve never would have thought to complete.

When I first attended Truman, I thought I wanted to be a biology major and that was quickly ruled out after my first exam (didn’t do so well and thought I was going to fail out of college, total freshman anxiety…lol). I went to the university Career Center and took an assessment and the career center rep told me “you should consider a career in public relations.” I had no idea what that meant, I just knew that I didn’t want to be a journalist. So the rep walked me through the classes, careers, and what it would be to have obtain a degree in Communication.  I took media writing with Prof. Don Krause and then I took my first course in public relations (also taught by Dr. Johnson).  I was hooked.

Which class did you dislike at the time you took it, but now you’re grateful you took it?

I didn’t particularly like Mass Communication because I knew that I didn’t want to be a journalist, but it’s helped me understand the media landscape, as lot of my job today deals with managing a budget that consists of advertising. I just didn’t take to that course immediately…but I had more interest in the public relations, theory, and interpersonal communication. Understanding how people communicate and interact really was intriguing and that has truly helped me in my career – because my job consists of working with tons of different audiences – internally and externally.

What was your greatest accomplishment at Truman?

My greatest accomplishment at Truman was being an athlete. I never intended on running track or playing a sport in college, it kinda just happened because my high school track coach attended Truman and was a hurdler. I got hurt a lot during my time as an athlete and being able to bounce back and finish my junior year was amazing. I was able to make the decision that I didn’t want to run my senior year and really enjoy my college experience, just not as an athlete. Being an athlete was a different world and I didn’t think I was able to do as much or be involved as much as other students were.

Lastly, I would say graduating from Truman. I am a first generation college student and that was a huge milestone for me and my family.

Neosha (far right) and her teammates after taking first at the Leif Erikson Invitational (2009).

Why is Truman a good place for a student to study?

OMG! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE TRUMAN! It was such a great place for me to not only learn a lot from the curriculum but actually learn how to be an adult and find myself. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do or end up career-wise but Truman really helped me figure that out.

The faculty of the Department of Communication was also so very knowledgeable and brought a lot of expertise to their teaching which I distinctly remember, which offered more perspective to the teachings.

The community is welcoming, I love the campus, and the people were nice.  I really wanted to find a job at Truman post-graduation, obviously that didn’t happen, but I recommend so many people attend.

What would you say a COMM student should absolutely do while at Truman?

Since most BA students have to take a foreign language, if they’re studying Spanish, they should go to La Pachanga and practice their Spanish with the Mexican and Latino staff. 😊

What advice would you give someone who wants to go into the same line of work as you?

Learn how to tell compelling stories about people and impact! Be open to learning new things and staying ahead of the newest and latest in technology and social media. Also, really think about the people/clients/audiences you are serving because understanding your target audiences wants and needs will go a long way. I actually did a podcast talking about Marketing and Communications.

What do you miss most about campus/Kirksville?

Pickler Library! I spent many nights there!

If you could come back to Truman and teach a class for a semester, what would be its title and what would it be about?

Innovative Communication Strategies for Nonprofits. This class would be about understanding the philanthropic landscape in a community and recognizing the communication tools needed to propel an organization forward via storytelling, social media tools, strategic communications and understanding your donor audience.

Neosha after graduation (2010).

If you would like to learn more of Neosha’s story, you can learn more about her by following her on Instagram

Neosha would also like to remind you to get online on May 7, 2020 because it is Give STL Day, a 24-hour day of online giving that was started over six years ago that has generated over $13 million for STL area nonprofits.

If you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!