Gretchen Sun

Gretchen Sun

September 10, 2019

Gretchen Sun (2019).

Gretchen is an Entertainment Coordinator for Contemporary Productions in St. Louis where she organizes and executes corporate and wedding events. She is an avid shopper, cat-lover, and coffee connoisseur. In her free time, she loves to travel across the country and abroad, she continues to write, and run in the 5ks that have cool-looking medals.

I graduated in 2013 with a BA in English and minors in Communication and Italian Studies.

I was a member of Alpha Sigma Gamma (where I served as social chair) service sorority, the National Communication Association Student Club (where I served as Treasurer), Sigma Tau Delta: International English Honors Society (where I served as Webmaster), the Women’s Resource Center, and I worked for Detours Magazine.

I also played intramural sports, worked at the campus library part-time, played rugby for a semester, and was a preceptor at Joseph Baldwin Academy.  I like to stay busy.

Gretchen (middle row, right) hanging out with her ASG sisters (2012).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where? Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait? Why?

I did not! But who knows what the future holds!

Throughout my time at Truman, I worked at Hy-Vee and continued to work there for a ‘semester’ after graduation. Once January of ‘14 rolled around, I moved to Columbia, MO and got a job at a retinal eye doctors’ office.

Gretchen and her boyfriend (2019).

I am currently working and living in St. Louis, MO. I am an Entertainment Coordinator at Contemporary Productions. My job includes making contracts for clients, confirming entertainment (band/DJs mostly) details, and making sure every event is run smoothly. I love my job! I’m very detail-oriented and the timelines I get to make and finalize to ‘perfection’ are what I enjoy.

My Liberal Arts/COMM education has helped me to become a more confident person in my professional and personal life. My critical thinking skills allow me to make the best choices in every decision and my communication skills got me into my current career.

Definitely Public Speaking (which I took with Dr. Self!). At the time, I was SO not looking forward to it, but looking back on it now, I’m extremely glad I did. As much as I wasn’t a fan, I am a more secure public speaker now than I was at the beginning of my Truman education. Still a work-in-progress, but I use the techniques and skills I learned back then for my experiences now.

I enjoyed being involved in and on exec boards within the organizations I was a part of. To be nominated and to hold an office within ASG was such an honor and privilege. I learned a lot from my fellow exec board members and those leadership qualities I like to think I still carry with me today.

Gretchen (1st row, 2nd from right), the sisters of ASG, and former university president Troy Paino at a Homecoming event (2012).

Truman houses students that are just like you! It is easy to form study groups and speak to professors who have the same educational values.

Get involved! Joining an organization helps to meet new people and can bring you out of your comfort zone. You never know what organization will lead to friends that turn into life-long friendships.

Gretchen vacationing abroad in London (2011).

Make sure you have great customer service skills. That’s a lot of my current job – speaking to clients in a way that will benefit them so they will provide you with the information to succeed in executing their event. The right communication skills can bring you a long way in my position and related jobs in event planning, producing events, etc. And you need to be very detail-oriented.

Gretchen cheering on the Blues (2019).

I miss being so close to my friends!

“COMM: You will learn a lot more than just communication skills.”

Starbucks and Chipotle: How to surprisingly spend a lot of money by drinking and eating delicious foods. (Editor’s note: I don’t need help with this.)

What did we not ask that you think is important for people to know?

I didn’t start out knowing what I wanted to do for my college education. I went through three different majors in my freshman year. It’s OK. You don’t have to know what you’re doing right away. It is a learning process and you will find a way.

It took me a year to realize where my strengths were and what I was actually interested in. With great friends and engaging professors, Truman can help you shape you into the best version of yourself.

Gretchen (2nd from left) and friends at graduation (2013).

If you would like to learn more of Gretchen’s story, or if you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!