Lauren Massey

Lauren Massey

March 26, 2019

Lauren Massey (2018).

Lauren Massey is an Account Supervisor at Intouch Solutions, a digital marketing agency in Kansas City, where she has been the last 4 years. In this role she has helped plan, implement and manage social media campaigns, website updates, video development, and email and media campaigns. In her free time, she enjoys attempting to do DIY house projects, listening to podcasts, baking, and spending time outside.

I graduated in May 2012 with a concentration in Public Communication.

I was involved in Greek life as a member of Alpha Sigma Alpha social sorority, holding a chair on the National Panhellenic Council and was elected VP of External Communications for Order of Omega, the Greek Honors fraternity. I also served as Communication Director for Student Senate and was a member of Lambda Pi Eta, the Communication honor society.

Lauren (front left) celebrating 100 years of ΑΣΑ with her sorority sisters (2014).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where?  Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

No, but I haven’t completely ruled it out.

I was hired towards the end of my senior year as a Delivery Consultant for Cerner Corporation, a healthcare technology company in Kansas City. In that role I served as the primary contact with clients during their design, development and implementation of healthcare EMR systems.

Lauren (far left) and some Intouch coworkers “adulting” by competing in their own Hot Dog Derby during the 2015 World Series.

After a couple years of “adulting,” I craved a career change, looking for a creative role where I could leverage my client-facing and technical skills. I joined Intouch Solutions, a digital marketing agency, in the fall of 2014 and have been there ever since. I’m currently an Account Supervisor where I plan, help execute and manage our clients’ digital marketing campaigns. I love that I get to collaborate with different internal departments to ensure projects are on-strategy, because I get to learn a little bit of everything digital as I go.

My liberal arts education taught me how to think critically which is a skill that has helped me while problem solving, brainstorming, and analyzing in the workplace. My Communication degree taught me different ways to express a thought/idea which has been invaluable in my career and life in general.

I thoroughly enjoyed my Comm classes; however, Communication Theory seemed pretty intimidating at first (sorry, Dr. Self).  As soon as I got the hang of it, though, I found it tremendously useful in life.

Lauren’s headshot from the Truman PR Department (2011).

In the fall of my senior year I interned at Truman’s Public Relations department. This was an incredible opportunity where I was able to earn credit hours and work the majority of my days in the office. I wrote and produced the Truman Today newsletters, drafted press releases, and was involved in a couple of fun side projects in the office.

I’ll always be grateful for my time at the PR department. It helped me prepare to work in the industry.

Truman’s liberal arts education provides students the opportunity to dip their toes in subjects beyond their majors. I took a few Justice Systems classes, water coloring, and the history of jazz to name a few. I picked up quite a few interests throughout my years at Truman.

I also loved that all students were eager to learn. I always felt comfortable asking questions and having open dialogue in my classes.

Check out all of the opportunities the COMM department has to offer!

It’s okay if you don’t end up immediately right where you planned. Just work hard, build relationships and keep learning and you’ll do great things. Always be prepared and stay organized.

Find an organization where you feel comfortable being yourself and feel set up to succeed. There are times where you work long hours and it’s important that you feel good in your environment.

Lauren and a friend after being crowned Homecoming Queen (2011).

I miss how close everything was in proximity and the tight-knit community. Campus always felt like home and it was great seeing familiar faces everywhere I went.

Also, I miss exam treats. Those were the best.  (Editor’s note: What are exam treats and how can I get some?)

“Welcome to the COMMuniverse.”

Microsoft Excel for COMM:  This class is for students who have no interest in taking a business class, but will inevitably have to use this dang software in the future.

What did we not ask that you think is important for people to know?

I think it’s important to note that your Communication degree can take you so many different directions. Don’t be afraid to look for unique opportunities.

If you would like to learn more of Lauren’s story, or if you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!