Allie Shetler

Allie Shetler

January 15, 2019

Allie Shetler (2018)

Allie Shetler currently works in Communications and Member Services at Tri-County Electric Cooperative (TCEC) in Lancaster, MO. Prior to joining TCEC, Allie interned at their national headquarters in Washington, D.C. during the summer of 2015. There she learned the importance of the cooperative industry and the community it builds in rural America. Outside of work, she enjoys spending time with family, friends and listening to her favorite crime and storytelling podcasts.

I graduated from Truman in December of 2015. My concentration was Public Communication with a minor in English.

I was a member of Tau Lambda Sigma, a local service and social sorority that came together to volunteer at various non-profit organizations within the community. I was also active within the Communication Department while at Truman State. I helped as an advertising coordinator for the university’s newspaper, The Index, administered fundraisers for communications scholarships, and even hosted a radio show with my sister on KTRM – shout out to The Shetler Sisters!

Allie (left) and her sister Amanda during their hit KTRM show, The Shetler Sisters (2013).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where?  Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

No, I haven’t . . . yet! I wanted to take some time off to figure out where exactly my interests would take me. I may wait a few more years, honestly. It’s a work in progress.

My first job after graduation is still my current job. I actually just celebrated my three-year work anniversary on January 11th!

One thing that really attracted me to the industry that I’m currently in, is that I’m able to wear so many hats. Every day is different, and I’m never bored. On one end I’m able to do graphic design work, digital and print content creation, etc., and on the other, I’m out helping with economic development projects, grassroots committees, community outreach demonstrations.  It’s very rewarding.

Allie (left) and a co-worker repping TCEC in a local classroom (2017).

You’ll always hear through your COMM studies, that “you cannot do any job without communication.”  Working in a highly technical field, there is definitely a learning curve; however, more often than not, I find myself pulling on what I’ve learned at Truman to help me.

Additionally, the Liberal Arts/COMM education assisted me in becoming a much better writer and public speaker – two things crucial to my daily job.

Communication Theory. At the time I couldn’t see how taking a theory class was going to be pertinent to the working world unless I decided to switch my emphasis over to graduate studies. Now, similar forms of comm theory are taught at a few of the conferences I attend and are specific to the industry I work in. Having this knowledge makes targeting messages for our membership much easier during these meetings.

My parents would probably say me actually graduating 😉 .  Ha!

Allie and her family celebrating her graduation in Red Barn Park (2015).

In all seriousness, my greatest accomplishment is that I was able to walk away with mentors that not only helped me become the woman I am today, but continue to offer guidance to me whenever I need it. This is my greatest accomplishment because it offers me the chance to continue learning from them in other aspects of life. It also proves just how dedicated these professors are to seeing their students succeed in life – so thank you!

Truman really has something for everyone. When I came to Truman, I was a double major in Business Administration – with a focus on International Business – and German. I spent my first two years determined to continue down this path.  It was not for me.

It was through the KTRM radio show my sister and I did when I realized, Public Communication was the best fit. I restarted my entire major and minor over the first semester of my Junior year and it was the best decision I have ever made.

Get involved within the COMM Department. There are so many opportunities available and I kick myself for not being more involved when I was a student.  Also, never be afraid to go to office hours. They are a lot more beneficial than you think!

Allie (right) and colleagues at a conference (2017).

In the electric industry there are a lot of unexplained outages due to weather, so our social media page often needs to reflect that – no matter the time of day. Additionally, many community outreach programs take place during the evening or on the weekends. My point is that most communication positions are not 9-to-5. You have to be willing to show up early, stay late, and work some weekends. This may seem daunting, but if you get in the habit of treating school like a future job, you’ll already be that much farther ahead.

Well, I still live in Kirksville… am I qualified to answer this question?  (Editor’s note:  That is a fair point . . .)

“The medium is the message.”  (Editor’s note:  That one has already been claimed.  Still, shout out to Marshall McLuhan!)

I would love to have a “Creative Placemaking and Marketing” class. Creative placemaking can transform a community through the use of unconventional and unprecedented perspectives to attract creative minds, retain and recruit young people and boost its economy. Students would spend the semester setting in motion a strategic marketing plan, implementing a creative project and present their results as their final.

What did we not ask that you think is important for people to know?

The COMM department is a family. Many of us are still very close and are always willing to help current/future students out. Additionally, as an alumna that currently lives in Kirksville, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I’m always willing to help out.😊

If you would like to learn more of Allie’s story, you can follow her on Instagram, Facebook, or LinkedIn.

If you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!