An ag student’s truths

An ag student’s truths

An ag student’s truths

December 11, 2015

Howdy!

I have had the opportunity of experiencing both sides of the coin when it comes to change in majors at Truman. Once a Biology major and now a proud Agricultural Science student, I have definitely enjoyed the switch especially as an international student that itches to voice out opinions about anything to do with agriculture on a global scale. Despite the fact that most of my non Ag friends still think I live on the farm and will do so till the end of my days, most of them have started to realize the much broader aspects of agriculture- beyond the farm boundaries.

I must admit, as a Biology student, I thought Ag majors only had the farm as their only livelihood every semester; either milking cows or trying out a new crop, forgetting that there is an entire economic and social aspect to it. I saw my fellow colleagues as some sort of Greek organization, that was focused on agriculture alone and yet I was blinded by these misconceptions and failed to see the beauty of this field. Semesters later, curiosity killed the cat and I decided to join this field after one of my Microbiology class assignments prompted me to research more about microbes in the soil, and I fell in love with it.

At first, It was a bit different sitting in a classroom full of people from diverse agricultural backgrounds and being the only international student, sometimes I felt left behind when people would start talking about their American farming practices that were wierdly different from my own…but I loved every minute of it. I got more curious and understood the reasons why people fed corn to cattle instead of just letting them graze (as I grew up knowing). I have appreciated how my colleagues and professors are curious to know how agricultural practices have developed in my native country and the rest of Africa. That alone has kept me abreast when it comes to issues affecting agro based economies in the world especially where I come from.

Ag science students do more than till the land and rear livestock as what most non majors would think. We move markets, we are the future driving forces of agro based economies. We are scientists that want to know the path a bacteria takes to degrade our crops and we are your best friends when you enjoy that turkey during Thanksgiving. Its a beautiful field that is as diverse as its people and I believe everyone at some point in their college struggles should try an Ag class or two and see if they will resist falling into the beautiful trap of majoring (or minoring) in Agricultural Science.