Reflection on vet school compared to Truman

August 27, 2010

I was a Biology major at Truman all four years. I went into undergrad knowing that I wanted to go to vet school. As such, I planned out my four years to take classes that would help me gain knowledge of the veterinary profession as well as get into vet school. The core classes I was required to take as a Biology major have greatly helped me in vet school, especially genetics, cellular biology, and biochemistry. I also have found the elective agricultural classes of animal reproduction, animal health, and livestock management extremely helpful.
Overall, I feel that the course load of vet school is not more difficult than Truman. Truman did a wonderful job of preparing me for vet school. What makes vet school more intense, however, is the amount of classes that are taken at one time. If I had taken 18 credit hours every semester at Truman (which I did not, I averaged around 14-15 each semester) I believe I would have had to study about as much as I have in vet school. That being said, it is because I challenged myself at Truman and took tough science courses that I felt so prepared for vet school. It is important to have a basic knowledge of science before entering vet school, it sure greatly helped me.
I like that Truman had small class sizes, and because of that I got to know my professors and classmates fairly well. I got one of the best educations available for vet school. Truman has a great pre-veterinary program; if I had to do it all over again, there is no doubt in my mind that I would go to Truman for undergrad.
Erin Pauli