One of our graduates reflecting on her internships in the equine industry

August 27, 2010

The agriculture industry is not your typical business environment when it comes to finding jobs. Most farms tend to find help via word-of-mouth rather than posting a job description on the latest hot job website. Therefore making connections in the sector you wish to be a part of is something that should be started as soon as possible! One ideal way to begin these connections is through a summer or semester internship within your field.
For example: I was a student in the Summer Experience in Equine Management program at Miner Institute the summer after my Junior year at Truman. At the end of the summer my boss asked me to return after graduation to complete a year-long equine management internship over this last year. While at Miner I was sent to the Winter Driving Conference hosted by the Saratoga Driving Association. At the conference I met Marc Johnson and ended up being invited to spend a week shadowing him and eventually competing with one of his students in the summer. Through my time with Marc I ended up making connections for two different full-time, lasting job opportunities within the equine industry.
Another great opportunity that internships allow for is the experience of what it’s actually like to work in the industry. Unless you grew up on a farm, you may not have ever worked a full-time job in the agricultural specialization that you are aiming for. Completing an internship can offer that missing experience to see if you truly do want to work in the job you have always dreamed of.
The most important thing to remember is that every single person you meet could end up being a connection someday. Be careful before burning bridges with someone no matter how rude they may be to you. Keep a lookout for chances to advance and never let a learning opportunity go by!
-Carrie Ostrowski, Class of 2009