Katie’s Study Abroad Experience in Finland

March 22, 2018

This semester Katie Maag, a senior Sociology/Anthropology major at Truman State University has been studying abroad in Oulu, Finland.

She writes, “The University here is much larger than Truman, and the entire complex is located within several buildings all connected through indoor corridors, in order to help prevent the necessity for students to go out into the cold to get to different buildings on campus. The classes have been taught by professors from all over Europe, which allows for a broader cultural perspective.”

“I have been able to participate in quite a few new things. I got to see some local fisherman demonstrate their techniques in action and tried some traditional Finnish seafood (and even went ice fishing on the Baltic Sea myself), watched a reindeer race in the city center, saw the Northern Lights, and have been able to travel to Norway and Sweden over the winter break. I have also gotten to meet a lot of really cool new people from all over the world!  I have definitely gained a lot more confidence in terms of figuring things out on my own and networking with people from other cultures and backgrounds. I’ve really enjoyed my time studying abroad and would absolutely recommend it to anyone who is considering it in the future.”

Katie in Finland

Katie in Finland