Field School in Ireland

Field School in Ireland

October 27, 2017

Summer 2018 Truman Senior Sociology/Anthropology major Katie Maag attended a field school at a medieval settlement called “Caherconnell” in the middle of the Irish Burren. It was run by two professors from the University of Galway who have been excavating this site for more than seven years and have plans to continue excavation for at least a few more because of the site’s size and historical significance.

Due to the general lack of trees, sites like Caherconnell in the Burren tended to be made almost entirely of stone and have lasted centuries while exposed to the elements. The sites tended to be in use for centuries, and at this site alone, they found objects ranging from prehistoric stone scrapers to modern-day sheep bones.

Katie writes, “While I was there, I stayed in a hostel with about 20 other people and shared a room with three other girls who were also members of the field school. We had dinner every night at the pub next door, and we all became very close. We also took one of the Saturdays that I was there to take a guided tour of Galway, which was a great way to get to know the culture. My only complaint is that I wish I could have stayed longer!”
Field School in Ireland