Alex’s Summer Internship in Spain

Alex’s Summer Internship in Spain

October 11, 2017

Over the summer, senior sociology/anthropology major Alex Vietor interned at VeraContent, a multilingual content and translation agency in Madrid, Spain. She did some French-to-English translation, wrote an article for the company’s blog, and worked on other copywriting and editing projects.

Alex writes, “I really enjoyed having work experience abroad, getting to know my coworkers, and living in an apartment where Spanish families lived as well. At first, I bemoaned the fact that my summer program wasn’t as long as semester study abroad programs, but I feel like it was a more immersive experience overall, and really gave me the independence to make the most in my two months in Spain – the opportunity to make new friends, make last-minute travel plans, and make mistakes (an inevitable and necessary part of travel, I’ve found).”

“I worked Monday through Thursday, and while I spent some of my long weekends exploring Madrid, I also took advantage of that time to travel outside of the city as well. In Spain, I was able to go to Barcelona, Segovia, and Salamanca. Outside of the country, I traveled to Paris, Rome, and Pas de la Casa (this weekend trip to Andorra was probably my favorite). When I got back to the states, I continued to do freelance work for Vera until school started.”

Alex on her study abroad trip to Spain