Sometimes participating in class can be rather hard for a number of reasons. For instance, you might not be able to participate because you have some anxiety. Or maybe you came to class unprepared for the class topic. Perhaps you are just not accustomed to American classroom culture. Either way, this article will help you be on your way to participating in class.
Class participation is very important in a few ways. For one, it can be graded and could be apart of your overall grade. Participating in class also showcases your understanding of the class material, and is a great way to show how much you know and lead to lively class discussion. In addition, in-class participation is also a time where you can ask questions outside of office hours. This can really help in the preparation of a test, and your question can also help other classmates who probably have the same question.
- Start with being prepared for class. Not being prepared will make it really difficult to participate if you don’t know what’s going on in class.
- Before class make note of any material that confuses you or something you found to be interesting that you can mention in class
- Stay engaged in class, you are more likely to participate in class if you’re not distracted. So make sure to be fully present, you may find an opportunity to contribute something thoughtful to class.
- Ask questions, it’s better to ask then to not know.
- Relax- it can be hard to participate if you have a lot of anxiety around it. Take a deep breath, and don’t be afraid to be “wrong”. Most professors prefer students to say something instead of nothing.
- Answer questions asked in class. This is basically a great situation to participate in, even if you get it wrong it’s another opportunity to learn.
- Give your opinion- if you feel like you agree or disagree with something in class let it be known. Don’t pretend to agree with everyone if you don’t, give the class a new perspective however be respectful about it.
- Know when to participate: you don’t have to speak every time or answer every question. However, don’t just participate once a semester. Participate in every class session but aim to speak at least one or two times.
Hopefully will this guide you will be on your way to participating in class more. If you have any additional tips share them and repost!