The Institute for Academic OutreachJune 24, 2014
The Institute for Academic Outreach (formerly The Truman Institute) is an office dedicated to the promotion of exciting new learning experiences that extend beyond the traditional borders of the University. We aim to serve learners from a variety of walks of life: pre-college learners in K-12 programs, adult learners seeking professional development and continuing education, retirees seeking personal enrichment, and much more.
The Truman Institute was conceived in early 2009 as an initiative to address a range of University needs, including development of programs and partnerships to generate revenue and support Truman’s mission. These initiatives include developing mutually beneficial partnerships, expanding Truman’s reach to students residing in off-site locations such as St. Louis and Kansas City, developing new on-campus programs to bolster recruitment efforts, and fostering and supporting new modes of course delivery.
The Institute formally opened its doors on August 1, 2009 and is headquartered in Baldwin Hall 110. The Institute presently oversees the following:
- The 26-year-old Joseph Baldwin Academy for Eminent Young Scholars (JBA)
- The Summer Talent Academy for Professions in Health (STAPH)
- The Zombie Scholars Academy (ZSA)
- Online Graduate Certificate Programs
- Customized Executive Training
- The Professional Development program
- The Competency-Based Mathematics program for High School Students
- The Dual Credit program
- Conference and event venue reservations
- The Non-Degree Seeking Student admission and registration process
- The Center for Applied Statistics and Evaluation
- Kaplan Test prep
- The Online Program
- The Center for Health Initiatives and Programs (CHIP)
- Summer Session courses
The Institute also continues to aggressively pursue multiple new projects in line with the goals described above.
Persons interested in learning more about the Institute’s offerings can browse the links on the left of this page as we add new and exciting programs to our line-up. Our outreach link also contains links to programs on campus that provide existing community service and extension programs but are run by other units on the Truman campus.
For more information, please contact the Institute for Academic Outreach at firstname.lastname@example.org or (660) 785-5384.