HS Graduate (’13), Rachel Prewitt, Reflects on Time at Truman

After I graduated from Truman, I entered the Occupational Therapy (OT) program at Rockhurst University. Going into graduate school, I felt very confident about my educational background. Coursework through the HES program at Truman gave me the foundational knowledge that prepared me to excel in graduate level courses. Truman also has a strong reputation among a wide range of graduate programs, which was helpful when applying and interviewing. In graduate school I presented a research project at the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) conference in Nashville, TN and later published an article in AOTA’s SIS Quarterly Practice Connections. I have worked in a pediatric outpatient clinic in Quincy, IL and now currently serve 4 school districts as a school-based OT through Northeast Regional Medical Center (NERMC). I also provide inpatient rehabilitation at NERMC in the summer. For anyone interested in becoming an OT, I recommend you take the time to job shadow and ask questions. Be sure to observe in a variety of settings, communities, and with a variety of professionals. Most importantly, care about others and be personable; that is a huge asset going into the field of OT.

Rachel (Chambers) Prewitt (’13), Health Science, Minor in Disability Studies