Laura Stade Shares her Truman HES Experience

As a transfer student, I sought a reputable and established program that would allow me to achieve my educational goals within a specific time frame.  My education in Health Science at Truman far exceeded my expectations and provided me with a strong foundation that has been essential in shaping the professional I am today. I continue to feel prepared to take on new challenges because of the learning and mentorship I received as a student in the HES department. After graduating, I worked as a health promotion intern for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City and then accepted a health educator position with BJC HealthCare in 2014. In my current role, I support five rural public school districts by facilitating health education programming within K-12 classrooms. Each day on the job is different and I love that I get to empower students to make choices that will allow them to live healthy lives and reach their full potential. After attending several national Society for Public Health Education (SOPHE) conferences, I became involved in the establishment of a Midwest chapter and enjoy supporting SOPHE Midwest by serving as their public relations chair. I encourage students to take advantage of every opportunity to gain experience in their local community and build relationships with professionals in the field.

Laura (James) Stade (’13), Health Science