Truman Alum Recounts on HES Experience

Where has the time gone?!?!  I graduated from Truman with an Exercise Science (Pre-Med) degree in 2005.  In my four years there, not only did I grow as a professional/student, I also grew as a person.  I can’t give enough credit to the phenomenal HES professors I had (many of which are still there to this day!) in helping me get started.  After spending four years at Truman, I was lucky enough to be accepted to the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine (hands down my first choice for medical school).  While medical school was challenging, I felt as prepared as I could to navigate the rigorous years of basic science combined with clinical experiences.  When I reflect on why I was able to succeed, I think it was the foundational knowledge and skills I gained in undergrad.  From the book knowledge, to how to submit an IRB and start a research project, to how to be a self-directed learner, the seeds for these skills were planted at Truman and then further refined in medical school.

Fast forward to today (nearly 12 years since I left Kirksville).  I’m now in my 4th year as an Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics in the department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital—the #3 ranked children’s hospital in the country!  I have become the “teacher” and hold multiple leadership roles as the Medical Student Clerkship Director for University of Cincinnati PM&R and the Associate Program Director for the Triple Board Pediatrics/PM&R/Pediatric Rehab Medicine program at Cincinnati Children’s.  I’m also one semester away from receiving a Master’s of Medical Education.  Every day I get to use the physiology, musculoskeletal, development, and biomechanical knowledge I learned at Truman.  And even better, I get to pass along my love for education that was instilled in me during my time at Truman by some of the best and most compassionate undergraduate professors out there.  I have no idea where I’d be if it wasn’t for Truman, but I can certainly say it changed me and my career for the better!

Ashlee Bolger (Brown), MD (’05), Exercise Science