Dr. Fontaine Piper Returns to Truman State University for Dedication Ceremony

Former Truman State Health and Exercise Science majors got a special treat as part of the  Homecoming festivities on Saturday, October 8, 2011; they got to see their former dean, who worked at the school for more than 30 years.

Dr. Fontaine Piper returned to Truman State University to take part in a Dedication ceremony. The new movement analysis lab in the Health Sciences building was dedicated in his honor. The lab will be used by students studying physical therapy and athletic training to study muscle activity and analyze the body in motion.

Piper retired from the school in 2005. He returned Saturday to accept the honor and to speak to former students, colleagues, and friends.

“It’s kind of overwhelming,” said Dr. Piper.  “You don’t think about those types of things when you’re here. I never had aspirations to think that one day, I ‘m working to have a lab named after me. I just did what I thought I was paid to do and that was to provide the best education for the students that were sent here.”

The lab will be getting new equipment such as a force plate, where students can analyze ground reaction forces, and a 3D motion analysis system which involves installing 12 3D cameras around the room so that students can analyze motion at different angles.