Amanda (Trosen) Luedecke

Amanda (Trosen) Luedecke

January 26, 2021

Amanda Luedecke (2018)

Since Amanda (Trosen) Luedecke left Kirksville and Truman State University, she has worked various jobs both on Capitol Hill and in corporate America. She is a third generation Bulldog (#BulldogForever) that married a fellow Truman graduate.  Amanda is proof that you can do anything with a Communication degree.

What year did you graduate and what was your concentration?

I graduated in May of 2016. My degreeis in Communication with minors in Political Science and English.

What extra-/co-curricular activities did you do?

I was in the National Communication Association Student Club, Sigma Sigma Sigma, Homecoming Committee, and served on the Panhellenic Council. I also worked in the Student Union Building at the Reservations Desk and Information Center.

Amanda (far right) and a few of her ΣΣΣ sisters huddling up (2015).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where?  Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

No.  I was ready to start my career.

Amanda with Sen. McCaskill (2018).

What was your first job after graduation?

After graduation I packed up and moved to Washington, DC. I did not have a job lined up (which was scary), but had interned in the U.S. Senate the summer before and knew that I wanted to work on Capitol Hill. I applied and interviewed a lot and was hired as a Policy Aide for the United States Senate Special Committee on Aging. I moved around, following Senator Claire McCaskill for the next two years working as a Policy Aide on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, and ended my time with her as a Systems Administrator in the personal office.

What work do you do/What are you doing now?

Amanda (front & center) and colleagues at work (2020).

I am an Executive Assistant at Centralized Supply Chain Services. We are the purchasing co-op for Applebee’s and IHOP. I manage the calendars and travel for our six person Executive Team. I also handle social media, newsletter communications, website content/management, and membership reporting.

How has your Liberal Arts/COMM education helped you?

My Liberal Arts education, and more specifically my Communication degree, has allowed me to not be picky when exploring career options. The opportunities are endless when you have the broad education that Truman gives you.

Which class did you dislike at the time you took it, but now you’re grateful you took it?

I remember Communication Law being very difficult at the time I took it, but I am so grateful for all of Dr. Smith’s pop quizzes and reading assignments now. This course prepared me to be able to engage in educated conversations with all of the attorney colleagues I had in the Senate and still remains relevant today.

What was your greatest accomplishment at Truman?

I met my husband at Truman, so finding him is a pretty tough accomplishment to beat. Aside from that, I served on the Panhellenic Board during two recruitment seasons and it was always satisfying to watch hundreds of women find their home away from home in Truman Greek Life.

Amanda and her (future) husband at graduation (2016).

Why is Truman a good place for a student to study?

I can’t say enough good things about Truman. I recommend it because of how stunning the campus is, how tight-knit the programs and organizations are, how supportive the faculty/staff is, how great of a place Kirksville is, and it’s affordability. The campus is underestimated, it has an ivy league charm to it. There are so many organizations to join and all are filled with passionate people who are a joy to be around. The faculty and staff offer so much support and go beyond office hours to make sure students have what they need to succeed. Kirksville is such a neat town to explore and truly all you need during college, I would have been distracted by being in a city or larger town. The affordability Truman offers is unmatched, the education I received for the price I paid is remarkable.

What would you say a COMM student should absolutely do while at Truman?

Take as many classes with Dr. Cianciola as you can!

What advice would you give someone who wants to go into the same line of work as you?

Do not be afraid of unpaid internships, they will give you great connections. People develop a lot of respect for someone who is passionate enough about a job to do it for free. It can certainly lead to full-time positions too.

Amanda showing up to her internship (2015).

What do you miss most about campus/Kirksville?

I miss walking around campus and feeling the sense of community I had at Truman.

What tag line would you create for the COMM department at Truman?

“Every career path values an excellent communicator.”

Amanda and her family (2021).

If you could come back to Truman and teach a class for a semester, what would be its title and what would it be about?

Political Insiders – I have collectively (Page, Internship, and Staffer) worked in the Capitol for four years and there is a lot to learn about the workings of the U.S. Capitol for those interested in working in government. We would review cloakrooms, tunnels, trams, hideaways, and so much more.

What did we not ask that you think is important for people to know?

I became a mom in July. My husband and I hope that Evelyn is a future Truman Bulldog (Editor’s note: So do we)!

If you would like to learn more of Amanda’s story, or you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!