Rebecca Tasetano

Rebecca Tasetano

December 15, 2020

Rebecca Tasetano (2020)

Rebecca Tasetano is a small business owner, communication expert, and dancer.  Her business focuses on training others to connect with their customers virtually.  She is also passionate about intuitive learning and design.  While she resides in Florida, Rebecca is an avid traveller who has been all over the country and the world.

What year did you graduate and what was your concentration?

I graduated in 2011 with a concentration in Journalism as well as a degree in Psychology.

What extra-/co-curricular activities did you do?

I was a swing dancer with The University Swingers dance team, an SA for West Campus Suites, and a reporter for News 36 (now KTRM Studios).

Rebecca (center, kneeling) and the University Swingers posing after a show (2009).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where? Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

I felt pressure to do grad school right after Truman. I’m really glad I waited. My favorite learning resources are online and free. At present they are Webflow University, Hubspot Academy, and Trailhead. If you’re wavering on grad school, I highly recommend typing “MOOCs” into Google. Or the much shorter and cost effective Alt MBA offered by Seth Godin.

What was your first job after graduation?

Because I participated in ResLife and became a Community Coordinator, I thought going into ResLife would be a good first job. I picked the job only because I was fairly confident I could get it. I got it. I was miserable. I quit after 6 months. I was so ashamed of all of that. If I could talk to past me, I would encourage her to bravely take job after job, and not be afraid of quitting. They’re all adventures in learning what you like and what you don’t. They all involve communication.

What work do you do/What are you doing now?

I work at the company I founded (You’re smart enough to do that too!). I called my company The Movement Maker. We create energizing online events for people who want to do good in the world. I do good in the world through my Facebook group, “Days of Sunshine.” I know you’re not on Facebook, but tell your Grandma she would like it!

Rebecca giving a speech during “Teas Days” (2019).

How has your Liberal Arts/COMM education helped you?

My Liberal Arts/COMM education helps me understand that 1. Journalists are held to high standards and that is why news is real. 2. It’s easy to look like news without being news these days. Oh, and I will never forget the term “cognitive dissonance.”

Which class did you dislike at the time you took it, but now you’re grateful you took it?

I HATED this advanced statistics class that was necessary to major in Psychology. I could have chosen to graduate with a minor in Psychology, and bypassed it entirely. Fortunately I was cajoled into taking the class, was mortified by getting a D, and as a result passed the class and graduated with a second Bachelors of Arts degree. What a life lesson in commitment is more important than perfection.

What was your greatest accomplishment at Truman?

A list of achievements pales in comparison to random happy memories. I have a feeling that’s one of the secrets in life. Look back on your own life and see if it’s true for you. I’ll never forget laying on my back staring up at the trees in the quad, or discovering Milan on a spontaneous road trip, or making and eating the most sugar laden desserts of my life, while my metabolism could take it. Truman to me is happy memories in nature and with my friends.

Rebecca (left, black dress) and friends enjoying another “prom” (2011).

Why is Truman a good place for a student to study?

Truman has such quality people. Both teachers and students. I love interacting with deep thinkers.

What would you say a COMM student should absolutely do while at Truman?

Be easy on yourself. Try anything that interests you. Quit anything that doesn’t keep your interest. Be brave.

What advice would you give someone who wants to go into the same line of work as you?

When it comes to getting a job, “who you know” is super important. Get a free CRM (customer relationship management) like Hubspot and write the name and email address of any adult you meet who has a job. Your friend’s parents count. Bonus points if you’re vaguely interested in the job/company. The earlier you start and more updated you keep this list, the more people you’ll remember you know out in the real world. Sure LinkedIn exists. Use it secondarily to track your relationships, but prioritize your own list.  That way, it will always be yours.

This list of contacts and relationships you have is like a 401k, it increases in value over time if you track it, pay attention to it, and keep it updated. Once again, I highly recommend keeping this information in a CRM. You can look up how to use the CRM later.

What do you miss most about campus/Kirksville?

The bricks, the trees, the clouds, and the friendships. There’s a statue in the sunken garden with a quote about life long learners. It’s worth adventuring to find if you like plants and quotes.

Rebecca stretching out during her study abroad in Costa Rica (2009).

What tag line would you create for the COMM department at Truman?

We knew user generated content would be a thing back when we called  it “backpack journalism”! (P.S. Twitter isn’t going away. We called that too.)

If you could come back to Truman and teach a class for a semester, what would be its title and what would it be about?

Netflix and Thrill: I Dare You to Watch “The Great Hack.”

What did we not ask that you think is important for people to know?

You can create an LLC with less than $1,000. Then you’ll always have a job with a great boss!

Rebecca and a friend dancing their way through Washington, DC on Spring Break (2010).

If you would like to learn more of Rebecca’s story, or you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!