Erin (Cicotte) Franta

Erin (Cicotte) Franta

October 20, 2020

Erin (Cicotte) Franta (2020)

Erin (Cicotte) Franta is a communications professional based in St. Louis, MO.  Since 2016, she has worked for FleishmanHillard, a global public relations and digital marketing agency. A member of the agency’s Talent + Transformation practice, Erin helps organizations drive employee engagement through effective internal communications. In her spare time, she enjoys going on adventures with her husband, Christian (’14), and their two pups, Calvin and Chester.

I graduated from Truman in May 2016 with a concentration in Public Communication. My dual degree was in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing.

During my time at Truman, I was a member of the social sorority Alpha Sigma Alpha and honor society Cardinal Key. I was also a member of the American Marketing Association and Lambda Pi Eta. I worked on campus at Truman’s Public Relations Office and Student Recreation Center.

Erin posing with her ΑΣΑ sisters during a recruitment event (2014).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where?  Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

This August, I graduated with my master’s degree in Human Resources Development from Webster University. For me, it was important to wait a few years and gain full-time professional experience before starting my graduate program. A critical part of the curriculum was being able to share and learn from classmates’ real life examples.

I started as a public relations intern at FleishmanHillard, a global public relations and digital marketing agency, in St. Louis, MO.

I continue to work for FleishmanHillard today as an Account Supervisor in our Talent + Transformation practice group. The scope of the work I do is focused on helping our clients communicate effectively to their employees through strategic planning, employee engagement initiatives, change management, editorial strategy and writing, and project management.

Erin (center) and friends at the AMA Convention in New Orleans (2015).

Being able to take complex problems and find a strategic solution is at the heart of what I learned at Truman. The critical thinking skills gained through my Liberal Arts/COMM education have given me the tools I need to think on my feet, ask smart questions, and deliver content in a meaningful way.

Public Speaking. Learning how to communicate topics clearly and practicing delivery is so key to a career in communication.

Completing my dual degree in four years. There was never a dull or light semester, but every credit hour was worth it.

The Liberal Arts curriculum, paired with a wide-range of extra-curricular activities, make the undergraduate experience rewarding for any student who is willing to get involved.

Get an on-campus internship or job to build writing and communication skills during the school year.

Erin (far right) and her Cardinal Key sisters having fun at Homecoming (2014).

Start writing. Writing and editing are so important to a career in public relations or communication. Whether it’s an internship, pro bono work, or campus news media, practicing writing in different formats and on different topics will set you up for success. Asking for feedback on your writing from professors, supervisors, and peers will help improve your writing and open the door to learn others’ style.

The community. Whether heading to class, a service project, or local community event, you are never far from a friendly face in Kirksville.

How about “Communication: The degree that gives you the skills to pave your own path.”

I would teach a class on Employee Communications to give students a glimpse into the types of communication and writing required for internal audiences, such as executive communications, change communications, HR communications and more.

Erin, her husband Christian, and their two pups (2020).

If you would like to learn more of Erin’s story, you can follow her on LinkedIn.

If you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!