Billy Greenwood

Billy Greenwood

March 17, 2020

Billy Greenwood (2020)

After attending the University of Kansas for three semesters, Billy transferred to Truman State University where he completed his degree in Public Communication. Using his degree, Billy started his professional career as a teller for US Bank. After bouncing through a variety of jobs, Billy finally settled down at Empower Retirement where he has been for 3.5 years. In his free time, Billy likes to walk his dog, yell at contestants on Top Chef on the TV, and stream video games on Twitch.tv, where he has actually made money playing games (take that Mom and Dad!).

What year did you graduate and what was your concentration?

I graduated in 2013 with a focus on Public Communication.

What extra-/co-curricular activities did you do?

The only extra-curricular activity I participated in was the Ad/PR Club.  Wait, I also played Humans v. Zombies on campus.

Billy (front & center) playing HvZ while at Truman (2011).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where?  Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

I have not gone to grad school yet, but I’m planning to in the next few years.

What was your first job after graduation?

Teller at US Bank.

What work do you do/What are you doing now?

Client Service Manager for 409(a) Retirement accounts at Empower Retirement.

How has your Liberal Arts/COMM education helped you?

Billy just chilling (2019).

Prior to Empower, my Communication degree helped me advertise myself on my resume and in interviews, allowing me to leap-frog competition and earn positions in other companies that gave me the experience I needed to be hired by my current employer.

At Empower I am frequently communicating with clients via email, phone, and even presentations in person at corporate offices, often leaning on the lessons from Truman to help me excel.

Which class did you dislike at the time you took it, but now you’re grateful you took it?

Communication Theory.  I’ve been astounded by how much real world application it has had for me in my current job.

What was your greatest accomplishment at Truman?

The field trip to Iowa during the 2012 Iowa Caucuses.  I helped cover the caucuses with other political communication classmates.

Billy in one of his more introspective moments (2012).

Why is Truman a good place for a student to study?

Having professors (with PhDs) leading every class was a refreshing change of pace after transferring from another school that frequently employed graduate students as teachers.

What would you say a COMM student should absolutely do while at Truman?

Internships! Nothing beats on the job training. All of my internships not only helped me learn by doing, but also opened my eyes to the education I needed to complete before I would be ready for the workforce.

What advice would you give someone who wants to go into the same line of work as you?

Keep learning outside of school. Truman gave me a great foundation, building on it after graduation is what got me to where I am today.

What do you miss most about campus/Kirksville?

Everything being within walking or biking distance.

Billy and a kitten trying to understand him (2010).

What tag line would you create for the COMM department at Truman?

“Communication:  Making people easier to understand.”

If you could come back to Truman and teach a class for a semester, what would be its title and what would it be about?

Communicating Professionally. It would be a class aimed at students who want to learn how to speak in the professional environment, how to network with existing professionals, and how to build relationships with consumers or clients of their future products.

If you would like to learn more of Billy’s story, or if you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!