Caroline Hamera Menges

Caroline Hamera Menges

February 18, 2020

Caroline Hamera Menges (2019).

Caroline Hamera Menges is currently working as a University Relations Recruiter at Garmin International in Kansas City. She recruits entry level engineering talent by attending career fairs, conferences, and industry events nationwide to help improve Garmin’s brand recognition in the tech community. In her free time, she loves traveling (having recently returned from a 3-week trip to Europe), anything outdoors (running, rock climbing, hiking, yoga), and taking her pitbull-mix, Sol, to the dog park.

I graduated in May 2015 with a concentration in Public Communication and a Spanish minor.

Oh man, what was I not involved in? I loved staying busy while in school, so I was a member of Alpha Phi Omega, Phi Sigma Pi, Lambda Pi Eta, the Funds Allotment Council, Detours Magazine, the Homecoming Committee, and College Democrats. I was also a campus ambassador, an orientation leader for 3 summers, and taught one summer of JBA with Prof. Don Krause. Finally, I did a semester abroad in Seville, Spain.  (Editor’s Note: Whoa, that was a lot!)

Caroline and some ΦΣΠ friends (2015).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where? Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait? Why?

I did not attend grad school. I thought about it for the first few years after I graduated, but now I think more about getting professional certifications instead.

I worked as an administrator for the marketing team at Cerner Corporation in Kansas City. I helped the marketing executives plan large scale meetings, worked on the company’s executive biography and portrait process, and then more traditional administrative work as well, like managing their inbox, booking their travel, doing their expenses, etc.

Caroline visiting Buckingham Palace (2019).

I now work at Garmin International as a University Relations Recruiter. I do full, life-cycle recruitment and I also manage and drive the recruitment strategy for several core schools where Garmin recruits. This involves attending career fairs, giving presentations on campus to increase Garmin’s brand presence, and training the volunteers that go with me. It has been a really rewarding role, as I’ve been a user of Garmin’s products for years. I also love how active the company is, because at any given time, you see people going out for a run, to play soccer, or a bike ride to test a new product.

All of my post collegiate career has been working in the tech industry (first at Cerner, which is health care IT and now at Garmin, which is consumer electronics), so learning how to communicate with engineers and other IT professionals has been instrumental to my ability to learn and pick up on technical skills and abilities, when that isn’t my background. The critical thinking skills I gained at Truman have helped me at every step of my career!

Business and Professional Communication actually! I never pictured myself going to work for a big corporation, as I thought I would go work in marketing for a start up or other small business. But now having worked for two different global companies, that class was invaluable!

Being elected the president of the Funds Allotment Council (FAC), which is a branch of student government. I was involved with the council for a few years before running for president; but the election process was a student body wide vote, which was a little intimidating! I loved my time as president and the leadership skills I gained from it!

Truman is an amazing place to study because of the community! My older sister went to Truman, which played a huge part in my decision to attend. I saw how the friends she made carried her all the way through college and beyond. I wanted that smaller, tight-knit community; having gone to smaller high school, I liked the thought of all my professors knowing my name (which they did)!

Caroline (back row, center) and her COMMunity working ona capstone project (2015).

Get involved with as many things as you can! As a student, you’ll obviously learn lots in the classroom, but there is so much you can learn and so many other skills you can gain through extra-curriculars. Also study abroad. Do it.

Network, network, network! I got into recruiting at Cerner through networking. I reached out to someone I had met in my first week and just asked if she wanted to get coffee so I could learn more about recruiting. She ended up being my manager when I made the jump over to human resources and that opportunity would not have been possible if I didn’t reach out to set up that meeting.

Caroline her buddy Sol (2019).

Having all my friends live within 5 minutes. I really miss that now that I’m in a bigger city! And the Dukum Inn, obviously.

“Come for the great education, stay for the COMMunity.”

Making Your Network Work – The class would be all about the power of networking and first impressions. Networking has been instrumental in getting where I am in my career today, so I’d love to share what I’ve learned with others.

What did we not ask that you think is important for people to know?

Truman has the ability to shape your future in so many ways. You’ll find life-long friends, mentors, and so many resources along the way. Don’t take any of it for granted.

Caroline finishing a trail half-marathon in Frisco, Colorado (2016).

If you would like to learn more of Caroline’s story, you can follow her on LinkedIn

If you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!