Erica Munton

Erica Munton

January 14, 2020

Erica Munton (2019)

Erica Munton is an experienced Certified Project Management Professional at Cerner with demonstrated success in healthcare information technology and implementing large-scale projects.  She is accountable for all aspects of project delivery within the constraints of a schedule, budget, and resources that include leading and directing cross-functional teams. Erica is passionate about connecting the right resources in order to deliver the highest quality results. Outside of work she enjoys traveling, being active and spending time with my friends and family.

I graduated in May 2013 with a Bachelor of Arts in Public Communication with Minors in Spanish and Women’s and Gender Studies.

I was a member of Sigma Sigma Sigma social sorority, Lamda Pi Eta honor society, COMM Club, and I played Intramurals.  I studied abroad in Costa Rica, worked as a TA in the Communication Department, and I worked at the Student Recreation Center.

Erica (center) and her ΣΣΣ sisters during recruitment (2011).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where?  Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

I did not.  I jumped right into my career.

I was hired by Cerner during the Truman Career Fair and moved to Kansas City to start the summer after graduation. I went through their Business Analyst training program and was placed in a Solution Designer role working on Web Design documentation and requirements.

I have been at Cerner for 6.5 years and have been in consulting for around 4 years working as a Project Manager. I am accountable for the delivery of the projects I own and travel onsite each week working with the hospital staff to implement our solutions. I am an escalation point for the client and our Cerner project team while working through complex electronic medical record implementations.

Erica in Lake Tahoe while visiting a client in California (2018).

Strong communication skills are key to my daily job and success as a Project Manager. Also, the combination of the critical thinking skills from a Liberal Arts education and the academic challenge that Truman presented prepared me to be a well-rounded professional who can easily adapt to change.

Erica in Yosemite (2019).

Research Methods. That class taught me to be detail oriented and work hard, which is what will make you successful in the future. Being able to do all the proper research and be informed prior to sharing a response or your opinion will take you far.

I did a lot while I was at Truman, but I think my greatest accomplishment was the connections I formed with people.

There are so many options at Truman and it is a safe and affordable place to explore those options.

Meet as many people as possible and pick your professors’ brains about possible career paths. There are a lot of options with a COMM degree and the more connections you have the better off you will be!  (Editor’s note: Want to read about more career options?  Check out the #WATDN archive here.)

Erica (back row, 2nd fr left) and friends ziplining in Costa Rica (2011).

Be flexible and continue to learn. Healthcare and IT are rapidly changing, and you will need to be open and able to change quickly. Look into relevant web trainings or certifications to enable continuous growth.

Having all my friends in one town.

“Helping you aCOMMplish your goals!”

Erica (right) and friends at graduation (2013).

Project Management 101: Communication Management

What did we not ask that you think is important for people to know?

Think about what you’re getting for the price.  It’s important to weigh Truman’s value compared to other colleges you are exploring. Being debt free a couple years after college makes a huge difference.

If you would like to learn more of Erica’s story, you can follow her on LinkedIn.  You can also see a sample of her work here.

If you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!