Chad Davis

Chad Davis

December 10, 2019

Chad Davis (2017)

Chad Davis is a general assignment and arts reporter for St. Louis Public Radio. Chad attended Ladue Horton Watkins High School in St. Louis, MO before heading to Truman. Now, his work has appeared on Harvest Public Media, The St. Louis American, NPR’s All Things Considered, and The Pulitzer Center. You can talk to him or argue with him about music, television, and/or film on Twitter (@iamcdavis.).

I graduated from Truman in 2016, where I majored in Public Communication and minored in English.

I was a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon. I also worked for TMN, specifically TMN Television where I worked on stories and became Executive Producer of the station.

Did you go to grad school?  If so, where? Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

I did not. I started working soon after I graduated in 2016. The decision worked out for me, but maybe it’s something I’ll consider years down the line.

I worked as an account representative at a marketing and data agency in St. Louis called Ansira for a little over a year before my current job.

I’m a general assignment and arts reporter for St. Louis Public Radio.

Chad working on a story for St. Louis Public Radio (2018).

I think the biggest thing it did for me was offer a variety of classes that each taught me practical and real world skills. Many of the classes I took strengthened my interpersonal skills which in turn strengthened how I communicate with people now during interviews.

I think the name of the class was Experimental Methods. I felt like I had to turn on a completely different part of my brain because so much of the work in that class is learning about studies and conducting your own research project. But being able to understand statistics and translate them into something anyone can understand is something I’ve had to do multiple times when writing stories. So in retrospect, the class was extremely helpful.

I think serving as Executive Producer for TMN Television was great. I got to work with a great group of people from the television station and the rest of TMN. I think we really did a great job and really had each other’s backs.

I think Truman, being a smaller school, really keeps you connected with other students and your professors. You get great one-on-one experience. Those connections with other students will go a long way when it comes to looking for jobs and other opportunities outside of college.

JOIN STUDENT MEDIA!  JOIN STUDENT MEDIA!  JOIN STUDENT MEDIA!

Aside from an internship outside of school, it really does give a sample of what the reporting world is like before you get a job. Companies with internships will definitely value your resume more if it includes experience writing of creating videos for a student media organization. If you aren’t sure if you even want to be a reporter, student media is still a great place to try new things and you’ll learn how to collaborate with other people and you’ll pick up great teamwork skills.

Chad and the hosts of TMN-TV live show (2016).

Do things on your own. Build a portfolio where you start writing on your own to build up those skills. And make sure you meet and connect with people in the industry. Reach out to them, get coffee with them and take initiative. Don’t be afraid to reach out to those in the field because they were in the same position you were in and had to do the same thing.

I miss how close everything was. Walking to the square, going to El Vaquero, if that’s even still there (Editor’s note: It is not), and going to the DuKum Inn on Thursday nights. Ahh, what a time it was to be alive.

“COMM and get a great education!”

Get it?? like “come” but I said “COMM.” This is why I wasn’t in UpChuckles.

If you could come back to Truman and teach a class for a semester, what would be its title and what would it be about?

Multimedia Reporting. I think a class where I could teach the basics of how you can use technology with reporting would be important since so many reporters need to know how to use so many different tools.

What did we not ask that you think is important for people to know?

Try new things and challenge yourself! Make your own fun and surround yourself with good people.

Chad (far left) and friends at graduation (2016).

If you would like to learn more of Chad’s story, you can learn more about him by following him on Twitter.

If you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!