Jeremy Busch

Jeremy Busch

November 5, 2019

Jeremy Busch (2019)

Jeremy Busch is a political campaign staffer specializing in communications and the press. Raised in Ballwin, MO, Jeremy attended Parkway West High School before attending Truman State University in the Fall of 2012. In addition to his major in Communication, Jeremy received minors in Spanish and Political Science. His political work has led him to positions in Wisconsin, Washington, D.C., and Iowa. Outside of work, Jeremy is an avid bread baker, has run three half-marathons, and believes a hot dog is, in fact, a sandwich.

I graduated in December 2015 with a concentration in Public Communication.

I am a member of Beta Theta Pi, wrote columns for the Index, and participated in the Missouri Government Internship Program, intramural refereeing, club volleyball, student government, and homecoming committee.

Jeremy (front & center) and the Homecoming Committee repping Truman (2015).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where?  Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

I did not – which was the right decision for me. As far as I am concerned, learning on the job > additional schooling.

I worked as a Press Assistant on Russ Feingold’s 2016 campaign for U.S. Senate in Wisconsin.

I am Iowa Press Secretary on Montana Governor Steve Bullock’s campaign for President.

Jeremy diligently working while on the campaign trail with his boss, Gov. Steve Bullock (2019).

The eclectic nature of my post-college work has validated my liberal arts education. Outside of work ethic, there is nothing more important on the job than versatility, which is precisely how a liberal arts education prepares you to succeed.

I had fundamental disagreements with my Film Critique class (I believe it had a different name, but for all sakes and purposes, that’s what it was). In the digital age, visual aesthetics have never been more important, which was a heavy focus of the course and a beneficial learning experience.

I was Beyoncé for Homecoming Lip Sync and I crushed it.

Jeremy (far right) and friends during Truman Week (2012).

The opportunities provided at Truman honed my interests to a profession that truly inspires me. Without that Truman experience, my professional path would have been drastically different – for the worse.

You should absolutely work for the Truman Media Network. There is no education better than hands-on learning, and there is no journalism education better than hands-on reporting. Even if your aspirations do not lie in journalism, you will gain an understanding of the journalism and public relations world that you could not otherwise.

Never forget the bigger picture. Too many communications strategies operate in day-to-day tactics built on fighting fires and making a quick hit – but you can’t forget that most folks (in this case, voters) are too busy to keep up. Keep your eyes on the horizon and think about the long term.

Jeremy (right) after a Fourth of July 5k with Gov. Steve Bullock (2019).

General career advice: work is easier, more productive, and more successful when you are a quality team member. Build relationships with your colleagues, be mindful and courteous, and support their success as if it were your own. Also, no one likes a braggert.

The DuKum Inn. Hands down.  Jay Self comes in a distant second.  (Editor’s note:  It’s an honor just to be nominated.)

“There is no “s” in Truman’s COMM, because there can only be one program at the top.”

I admit, it’s clunky, but no regrets.

Jeremy & friends at a Christmas party (2014).

Media Interactions. The course would move beyond press releases and teach the skills to build relationships with the press, respond to their inquiries, and teach strategies to ensure the most important message is reported.

What did we not ask that you think is important for people to know?

Suck it up and get a minor in a foreign language. It’s worth it, AND you get to study abroad.

If you would like to learn more of Jeremy’s story, you can learn more about him by following him on Twitter.

If you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!