Casey Wright

Casey Wright

June 18, 2019

Casey Wright (2019)

Casey Wright is a middle school math teacher in Kansas City, MO. She is a Teach for America alum, and is currently finishing her 3rd year teaching. She is a volleyball and soccer coach at the Kauffman School in Kansas City. In her free time, Casey enjoys hiking, playing with her dog Quinn, and travelling with her friends and family, and cheering on Sporting KC.

What year did you graduate and what was your concentration?

I graduated in 2016 with a concentration in Public Communication.

What extra-/co-curricular activities did you do?

I was a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma national sorority, the University Conduct Board, and I wrote for The Index.

Casey (far right) and some of her Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority sisters (2015).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where? Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait? Why?

Yes, I was able to get my grad school paid for through AmeriCorps at UMSL. I got my Masters in Special Education, and completed my degree while teaching full time in the Teach for America program.

What was your first job after graduation?

I left Truman and went and taught with Teach for America for two years in Kansas City, MO.

What work do you do/What are you doing now?

I am a teacher at the Ewing Marion Kauffman School in Kansas City.  I just finished my third year teaching 6-8th grade math.

Casey at work at the Kauffman School as a teacher (left) and as a volleyball coach (right) (2018).

How has your Liberal Arts/COMM education helped you?

My COMM degree has helped me become a more conscious consumer of information. I have been able to take that learning with me into the working world, and I am able to filter information by identifying underlying themes, biases, etc. This is extremely important in my job as I am constantly advocating for social justice in the education system of Kansas City.

Which class did you dislike at the time you took it, but now you’re grateful you took it?

Organizational Communication with Dr. Kleine was a difficult class, but it taught me the different ways that organizations are structured and how power is distributed to reinforce those structures. This has helped me better understand, on a larger scale, how our society’s structures allow certain people to keep power and while denying it to others.

What was your greatest accomplishment at Truman?

Casey (left) with a couple of her teacher friends (2018).

My greatest accomplishment at Truman was being a part of the University Conduct Board, and creating a Mental Health Awareness campaign that developed my passion as a mental health advocate.

Why is Truman a good place for a student to study?

Truman is a good place to study because it is one of a kind. Parents always love the “inexpensive” aspect to Truman, but as a student it is a great place to come into your own and figure out who you want to be. Throughout my four years at Truman, I honestly believe I was able to “try out” different versions of myself by participating in anything and everything until I found my place, both academically and personally. I’m thankful for such a diverse and accessible campus and student life that allowed that to happen.

What would you say a COMM student should absolutely do while at Truman?

If you can, take the special topics class on the Iowa Caucuses with Dr. Self.  This was my most memorable experience academically.

What advice would you give someone who wants to go into the same line of work as you?

Start thinking about how you can get involved now. You don’t have to wait to be a senior or to have a degree to do something about the things you care about. For example I became a member of Missouri CASA and was a guardian ad litem at 21. Don’t limit yourself because of your age.

What do you miss most about campus/Kirksville?

Casey, her boyfriend, and a furry friend in KC (2018).

La Pachanga, the chicken tenders at the SUB, and being in walking distance from all of the people I love most in the world.

What tag line would you create for the COMM department at Truman?

“COMM is like a giant taco. You get a little bit of everything, and it’s all good.”

If you could come back to Truman and teach a class for a semester, what would be its title and what would it be about?

How To Disagree with People Without Insulting Them 101

What did we not ask that you think is important for people to know?

The best advice I have for incoming COMM students is to be open-minded. You can do SO MANY things with a COMM degree, so don’t put yourself into a box.  (Editor’s note: You can even teach math!)

Casey and her dad celebrating graduation (2016).

If you would like to learn more of Casey’s story, or if you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!