Michelle Vincent

Michelle Vincent

June 11, 2019

Michelle Vincent (2019)

Michelle is a writer and project manager. She currently works as an Associate Project Manager for Express Scripts and writes for pop culture/feminist website Femestella Media. Michelle is an avid traveler and is planning her fourth trip to Europe later this year. In her free time, she enjoys reading, volunteering with the United Way’s Read to Succeed program, and devouring true crime podcasts.

I graduated in 2013 with a concentration in Public Communication. In addition to my Communication major I also majored in English with a concentration in writing.

I was a member of Sigma Kappa sorority, where I held positions including Assistant New Member Educator, Awards Chair, and Standards Council representative. I was also constantly running from one on-campus job to the next, including working at the West Campus Suites’ hall desk and lifeguarding at Truman’s pool.

Michelle (middle) and her Sigma Kappa sorority sisters at the beach (2012).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where?  Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

I did not go to grad school. I haven’t ruled it out in the future, though, mainly because I miss being in the classroom.

After a brief copywriting/social media internship the summer after graduation, I landed my first real job as Project Manager in the Wells Fargo Advisors marketing department in St. Louis. At Wells Fargo Advisors, I got some great experience working on internal and external marketing campaigns, including our sponsorships for major events like Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure and PrideFest.

Now, I work as an Associate Project Manager for Express Scripts in St. Louis. I put together customized proposals to engage current and prospective clients about Express Scripts’ pharmacy benefit management capabilities. I also have a side hustle working as a writer for pop culture/feminist website Femestella Media. I get to examine entertainment, politics, and more through a feminist lens; it’s a great throwback to my college newspaper-writing days.

Michelle on the Brooklyn Bridge (2019).

My Liberal Arts/COMM education helped me become a stronger writer, a better critical thinker, and a better advocate for myself. You wouldn’t believe the number of people in the workplace who haven’t grasped the very basic tenets of communication; my COMM degree left me feeling very well prepared.

Michelle at the Walls of Dubrovnik in Croatia (2018).

I hated my Advertising class when I took it, but when SWOT analyses followed me to my first job I was very grateful to have already had some experience.

I added my Communication major late in the game, so I’m very proud that I put in the back-end work and was able to graduate in four years with two degrees.

Truman is small enough that it offers accessible professors and a close-knit community; however, it’s big enough that there are always new people to meet and opportunities to explore.

Get involved! Write for The Index or Detours, go to campus events, sign up for conferences, join clubs, study abroad if you can swing it. If you have even a passing interest in doing something, college is the time to try it. You will never have as many opportunities at your fingertips as you do on Truman’s campus.

Michelle and her boyfriend hiking in Isle of Skye, Scotland (2017).

Also, go out and have some fun. Grades are certainly important, but they aren’t everything. Don’t let college stress consume you.  Truthfully, the stakes are low and time is fleeting. Get to know Kirksville, make some mistakes, and enjoy every minute.

Whether you’re looking to get into project management, writing, or something else,  securing internships related to your interests is the single most important thing you can do. I was reluctant to apply for internships during my college career because the ones I wanted were writing-centric (and unpaid) and I needed to spend my summers making money. It was only after finally completing an internship that other doors started to open for me.

I miss being in such close proximity to all of my friends. Also, La Pa.

Michelle and a friend at La Pa (2012).

COMM: You might think you picked the easy major, but we’ll prove you wrong.

Apparently, for awhile Duke had a course discussing self-aware culture of the 21st century. The class critically examined shows like Real Housewives and The O.C. and the “California exceptionalism” they exhibit. I’d be happy to bring that course to Truman anytime; let me know.

What did we not ask that you think is important for people to know?

What you give to your major, or to Truman itself, is what you’ll get out of it. When I was first considering going to Truman, some people would tell me that Truman is too small, or that there’s nothing to do in a town like Kirksville. If you make an effort to get involved and put yourself out there, this couldn’t be further from the truth.

Michelle (right) and friends hanging out (2011).

If you would like to learn more of Michelle’s story, you can follow her on Twitter or read her writing on Femestella.

If you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!