Ashley J. Peters

Ashley J. Peters

April 2, 2019

Ashley J. Peters (2017)

In the last decade, Ashley Peters has worked as a communication professional for various environmental conservation groups including the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and currently, the National Audubon Society. At Audubon, she brings together volunteers, scientists, policy experts, and business and community leaders to support conservation funding and environmental programs. She currently lives in Minneapolis, MN and spends most of her free time volunteering for local nonprofits or spending time outdoors fly fishing, hunting, and camping.

I graduated in 2007 with a BA in Communication.

For most of my time in college, I was on the Track & Field team as a sprinter and long jumper. Due to an injury that kept me from running my senior year, I also assisted with coaching. In addition to running, I sporadically played Ultimate Frisbee and various intramural sports, but I was mostly finding ways to pay bills and tuition.

Ashley and the Women’s Track & Field Team (2006).

During my time in Kirksville I worked as a DJ at a local radio station, took advantage of a work study program, lifeguarded at the Kirksville Aquatic Center, served tables at restaurants, and picked up seasonal jobs on campus.

Did you go to grad school? If so, where?  Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

I wanted to wait and I am finally ready for graduate school after a decade of building my career. This fall (2019), I will begin a Master of Public Affairs program with the University of Minnesota, Humphrey School of Public Affairs for mid-career professionals. I’m thrilled I found a program that will allow me to keep my full time job while completing my coursework. (Editor’s note: Congratulations! That is awesome.)

I joined an AmeriCorps program in Alaska for a year. During that time, I led a 10-person crew constructing hiking trails and working on public lands like state parks, national parks and national forests. We went on multi-week camping trips into bear country throughout Southeast Alaska. I loved it and was especially grateful for the $4,000 education award I earned as part of that year of service.

Ashley and her AmeriCorps team in Alaska (2008).

My undergraduate education helped me become a well-rounded professional who can work with a wide range of people. Many courses gave me context for understanding other points of view.

Communication Law – I would love to see how different that class is now versus fifteen ago when online media outlets were just taking off.

Ashley planting trees along the Mississippi River for the Audubon Society (2018).

In both my professional and personal life, I advocate for the conservation of natural resources. I currently work for Audubon, a national bird conservation nonprofit, as the communication manager for the Upper Midwest. People are naturally fascinated by birds and we can learn a lot about natural environments by studying the ecological impacts to birds like bald eagles, trumpeter swans, wood ducks, and many other species.

I would recommend this line of work for anyone who loves variety. On any given day, you might find me organizing media tours of restoration sites, creating content to help people understand climate change, or working with Audubon members to protect state and federal conservation funding. I learn something new every day and there is infinite room for professional growth.

During my free time, I serve on the alumni council for Conservation Corps Minnesota & Iowa and I volunteer for groups like Backcountry Hunters & Anglers. For Truman Alumni in the Twin Cities, they are welcome to join the monthly Birds & Beers get-togethers that I host at St. Paul restaurants and breweries.

I felt an overwhelming sense of relief and accomplishment when I received my degree. I was a first-generation college student facing major personal challenges throughout my years at Truman. I feel fortunate to have graduated and to still be benefiting from the knowledge and skills I gained at Truman.

Students should absolutely network with peers and build relationships with professors as much as possible. I didn’t fully understand how important that was at the time, but now I can see now how important those relationships are for career development.

Ashley fishing and enjoying nature (2018).

Truman provides both a great education and easy access to nature. Many scientific studies confirm that time spent outdoors is key for mental wellness, stress relief and the ability to stay focused. I really appreciated the gardens and grassy areas on campus that served as idyllic spots to study.

Also, Kirksville isn’t a sprawling metropolis, which means students can easily get out of town and visit a number of beautiful parks and conservation areas within a 30-minute drive. Friends and I had get-togethers at nearby lakes and we found quiet getaways when we felt overwhelmed.

If at all possible, graduates interested in science or natural resources communication careers should consider traveling or moving to other regions for a while. I’ve lived in Alaska, Louisiana, and Minnesota and I found incredible jobs because I was willing to move for unique entry-level experiences.

Thousand Hills State Park was a favorite and I also miss studying under the trees on campus.

“COMM as you are!”

Storytelling & Science: Communicating Complex Information to Nonscientific Audiences

I hope to see more communicators and scientists working directly with each other to prevent the spread of misinformation. Specifically, there is a considerable need to encourage the flow of scientific concepts from experts to federal, state, and community leaders.

What did we not ask that you think is important for people to know?

Studying communication at Truman is a great idea for absolutely anyone – a Communication degree is great on its own or it pairs well with almost any other discipline. In the information age, it’s smart for all professionals to have training in this field of study.

Ashley doing “field work” for the Minnesota DNR (2011).

If you would like to learn more of Ashley’s story, you can follow her on Twitter, or LinkedIn.

If you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!