Mary Schreier

Mary Schreier

March 5, 2019

Mary Schreier (2018)

Mary Schreier is a Marketing Specialist at Thrivent Financial in Minneapolis, MN. She finds digital storytelling and its potential to spread joy to fuel her passion for her career. When she’s not downtown, she enjoys spending time with 350 of her favorite dance students at Dance Esteem in Eden Prairie, MN and traveling the world.

What year did you graduate and what was your concentration?

I graduated in 2014 with a BA in Communication with an emphasis in Public Communication and a minor in Music.

What extra-/co-curricular activities did you do?

I was a part of Lambda Pi Eta serving as the Social Chair for one year, a part of the News Production Team at KTRM, danced on Truman’s Showgirls Dance Team and participated and choreographed with TSODA. I also worked off campus at The Dance Studio of Kirskville as a Dance Instructor/Choreographer throughout my time at Truman.

Mary (2nd row, 3rd fr right) at a Truman Bulldogs football game (2011).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where?  Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

I have not. I’ve considered extending my education, but right now it’s not in the plan.

What was your first job after graduation?

Immediately post-Truman, I found myself working a paid internship with the City of St. Louis Park in St. Louis Park, MN. Within this role I was given a lot of responsibility and opportunity from co-anchoring a weekly newscast to presenting on a panel at a state-wide conference on behalf of the city.

Mary anchoring the weekly newscast “Life in the Park” (2015).

What work do you do/What are you doing now?

Mary (left) presenting at the Minnesota Association of Government Communicators conference (2015).

Currently I am working at Thrivent Financial as a Marketing Specialist in the snowy but beautiful city of Minneapolis, MN. My role is primarily focused on building relationships and marketing to our partnership segments. Oftentimes you can find me out in the field traveling the country as a representative of Thrivent Federal Credit Union gathering footage and expanding business relationships to better understand the target markets we’re attempting to reach.

How has your Liberal Arts/COMM education helped you?

The best competitive advantage that the Communication department at Truman gave me was the ability to connect with other people. Rather than focusing our education on preparing us for a single, particular job, the professors in the COMM department focused heavily on building skills and relationships. The skill sets that I acquired while studying at Truman have translated cross-functionally to my different roles as a Marketing professional.

Which class did you dislike at the time you took it, but now you’re grateful you took it?

Intercultural Communication was a class that challenged me. Honestly, I didn’t understand at the time how important the lessons I learned in this course would be until I launched into my career. As a Marketing professional, specifically in the partnerships realm, it is my job to learn different audiences and adjust my messaging to speak to them. With an agile mindset, I am able to speak with and connect to a variety of people without missing a beat.

Mary (center front) and her friends & fellow COMM grads at graduation (2014).

What was your greatest accomplishment at Truman?

The last paper I wrote as an undergrad was for Dr. Cianciola’s Communication Ethics capstone course. The prompt was something along the lines of, “If your boss asked you to lie for your job, would you? Why or why not?” The compliments he left on my paper were an honor to receive. That grade was by far one of my greatest academic accomplishments as an undergrad.

Why is Truman a good place for a student to study?

Mary (left) and a friend re-imagining a Platonic dialogue (2013).

As an out-of-state student, Truman was an excellent education at an affordable rate. Admittedly, traveling to a new state where I had no connections took a lot of courage. As I settled into Dobson Hall, I immediately connected with my house and I loved meeting so many new people. But what makes Truman unique is that they don’t just put people together, they provide you with the opportunity to connect over some particularly unique experiences (Humans v. Zombies anybody?) on campus.

Finally, the academic life at Truman is unmatched. Professors have the capacity to provide individual assistance to anyone who asks for it, and make it a point to invest into their students. I keep in touch with a few of my professors still as they continue to mentor me in my Marketing career – that’s a connection not all universities can offer.

What would you say a COMM student should absolutely do while at Truman?

Mary and a few of her dance students (2018).

First, get involved in extracurricular activities that you love! Dance is a sport that I absolutely adore, both then and now, and being able to continue it in college was really important to me. It provided solace when my classes were overwhelming.

Second, get involved in TMN. I’m sure most COMM grads would tell you the same thing, but the experience you will gain at KTRM, TMN-TV and The Index are quite comparable to the outlets you’ll work with in the professional world. As a marketer who plans and buys media regularly, understanding radio and TV broadcasting helps me to make smart spot purchases.

What advice would you give someone who wants to go into the same line of work as you?

TAKE PUB DESIGN!

This is a big one. Publication design was undoubtedly the most helpful course I took. You don’t need to be a graphic designer, but if you want to work in marketing/advertising, knowing your way around Adobe Creative Suite is a skill that will take you far. As you start to work on creative teams for digital ads, video shoots, etc. you’ll want to develop the eye of a designer so you can provide helpful critiques.

What do you miss most about campus/Kirksville?

So many things! The beauty of the brick buildings covered in a blanket of snow, the bells ringing across the quad, walking out of Barnett Hall late at night (sometimes early in the morning!) after a study session. Kirksville has a quaint charm, and I connected within the community through my job as a dance teacher. The families who are still there definitely hold a special place in my heart!

Mary (right) and friend and COMM alum Julianna at graduation (2014).

What tag line would you create for the COMM department at Truman?

It is COMMUNICATION, not COMMUNICATIONS.

If you could come back to Truman and teach a class for a semester, what would be its title and what would it be about?

The Art of Nonverbal Communication.

This course would explore the subtle yet important signals you can send unknowingly as you communicate with people. Hand motions, eye contact, crossing vs. uncrossing your arms, facial expressions etc. We would put students in interview situations, film them as they give presentations, and analyze what messages their body language is communicating.

What did we not ask that you think is important for people to know?

It’s okay to switch majors.  It’s okay to not graduate on time.  It’s okay to not have it all together all the time. We oftentimes put pressure on college freshmen to be thinking so far ahead to what’s next that we forget to remind them to enjoy college for all it has to offer. Believe it or not, you’ll miss the late nights at Pickler or in Barnett Hall just as much as you’ll miss the social life. Embrace it, and take solace in knowing that everything will work out.

Mary and a new furry friend at a fundraising gala (2018).

If you would like to learn more of Mary’s story, you can follow her on Instagram, Facebook, or LinkedIn.

If you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!