Maggie (Young) Harl

Maggie (Young) Harl

February 5, 2019

Maggie (Young) Harl (2018)

Maggie (Young) Harl left Truman State University in 2015. Since then, she has moved to Columbia, MO with her wonderful husband, Nick.  She works at the University of Missouri in the College of Education and serves as an advisor for students seeking to earn their teacher certifications, both in-state and out-of-state. While she and her husband are currently trying to start a family, they are very content living  with their two cats, Daisy and Violet.

What year did you graduate and what was your concentration?

I graduated in May 2014 with a concentration in Communication Studies.

What extra-/co-curricular activities did you do?

I was a member of the Communication Club on campus, serving as President for one year. I was also the Treasurer for Lambda Pi Eta, the Communication Honors Society. A large portion of my time was dedicated to activities in Sigma Sigma Sigma, a social sorority on campus. I held various chair positions in this organization and volunteered hours of my time to Kirksville-area causes.

Maggie front (right) with the rest of her Tri-Sigma pledge class during a rush event (2012).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where? Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait? Why?

I attended Truman’s Masters of Arts in Education program immediately after my BA in Communication. I graduated with this degree in May 2015, specializing in Elementary Education.

Maggie (second from left in back row) with the rest of her MAE graduating class (2015).

What was your first job after graduation?

Like many students post-graduation, I left college only thinking I had a plan for the rest of my life. I hadn’t considered a plan B if teaching wasn’t what I wanted to do! As life would have it, I found myself feeling unhappy in the front of the classroom (I’m an introvert) and I began searching for a new field. Still passionate about education, I wanted to stay within this realm while still using my Communication background. I found my current position, working as the Certification Officer for Mizzou’s College of Education, and I absolutely love it!

What work do you do/What are you doing now?

Maggie and her (now) husband, Nick, at Forest Lake in Kirksville (2013).

As the Certification Officer for Mizzou’s College of Education, I work with students daily to assist them with requirements for teacher certification, both in-state and out-of-state.

How has your Liberal Arts/COMM education helped you?

My job heavily relies on knowledge gained from both of my degrees, as I need to be an expert on the constantly changing education policies and communicate these policies to students in a clear, concise manner.

Which class did you dislike at the time you took it, but now you’re grateful you took it?

Health Communication. I often find myself quoting lessons learned from our readings in this class. As a college student, health wasn’t a particularly important concern of mine. Now, the information from the class would be extremely beneficial – I wish I could take it again today! We read Brain on Fire for this class, which is now a recent Netflix movie!

What was your greatest accomplishment at Truman?

I was very proud of the fact that I graduated Cum Laude and with Communication Departmental Honors. Wearing two medals at graduation left a bright smile on my face!

Maggie (3rd fr left) with Mass Communication students during their final debate project (2011).

Why is Truman a good place for a student to study?

Truman has an atmosphere designed for learning! As a liberal arts institution, Truman encourages students to cross over information from general education studies to a multitude of specialties. To current students: take advantage of this fact! Don’t just take classes that you hear are “easy A’s.” Instead, find subject areas that captivate your interests (especially your JINS course!).

What would you say a COMM student should absolutely do while at Truman?

Maggie (right) and fellow COMM student and Tri-Sigma Sarah (2013).

They should get involved! I’m sure everyone said this to me as a student, but I didn’t really grasp what they meant. You don’t get this many opportunities after college, so take advantage of them now! If you crave knowledge and self-fulfillment, there is likely a club on campus in which you can find your niche. If for nothing else, consider the fact that interviewers are more impressed by extracurricular involvement than high GPAs or test scores.

What advice would you give someone who wants to go into the same line of work as you?

Be organized in your communications! Always document and keep records of your work to refer to later. Be content with asking for help from peers or superiors – it is much better to get something right than to do it all by yourself and make mistakes.

What do you miss most about campus/Kirksville?

I miss campus immensely! I loved the beauty of the architecture and proximity of all buildings to one another.

What tag line would you create for the COMM department at Truman?

COMMUNICATIONS (No “S!”).

What did we not ask that you think is important for people to know?

To current students: find campus resources! If you have a problem, there is likely a dedicated person on campus to help you find answers! Don’t try to figure things out all by yourself!

Maggie and Nick at their wedding (2017).

If you want to learn more about Maggie’s story or about the Department of Communication, contact us!