Krisha Shrestha

Krisha Shrestha

January 29, 2019

Krisha Shrestha (2018).

Krisha is currently a Product Manager at a non-profit called AnnieCannons.  At AnnieCannons she works with developers and clients to help them build tech products. She is passionate about tech.  For her, being able to make impact in the lives of others through technology is rewarding.  When she is not working, Krisha loves books, Netflix, traveling, and trying new foods.

I graduated in 2011 with BA in Communication with a concentration in Public Communication.

Krisha hosting the Himalayan Night event on campus (2010).

I was heavily involved with Truman Media Network. I started by working on the 2008 Presidential Campaign reporting and then went to work for News36 (now TMN-TV) eventually establishing and running the advertising department. Every semester I worked on an additional media outlet from DJing KTRM shows to writing feature articles for The Index to gain experience and see if I liked anything else. Besides TMN I was the social chair for Lambda Pi Eta, the Communication honors society.

Did you go to grad school? If so, where?  Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

Yes, I went to The George Washington University for graduate school. I graduated in 2018. After I left Truman in 2011, I wanted more professional experience before going to graduate school.

I started working as an Executive Assistant to the CEO of an ad-tech company.

Currently, I am a product manager for AnnieCannons, a non-profit teach start-up.

Krisha and her friend (2008).

Liberal Arts/Communication helped me be open about my choices and options. Communication is a major that his sought after in many industries, so it was easy for me to get into tech industry without any technical background.

I don’t think I regret taking any classes but I do regret not taking more classes and broadening my knowledge.

My greatest accomplishment was probably while I was working at News36 (now TMN-TV).  I was able to persuade many local businesses to advertise with us.

Krisha and her parents at graduation (2011).

Truman pushes you to find answers.  This is a very important skill in any workplace. It is also diverse opening you to other cultures and accepting people for who they are.

Join one of the media outlets. It’s hard work but the practical lessons you learn there is not something you can get in books or discussions.

Try a lot of different classes. When I was at Truman, I took technology classes very late. I loved those classes and if I had done those before I would have taken it as a minor at least. A Communication major can be mixed with a lot of other fields, so don’t be afraid to take up a minor.

Krisha visiting an amphitheater during a recent vacation to Turkey (2018).

I miss being able to go to Pickler Memorial Library. I spent a lot of time in the library. Not only did I get my work done there, I would also meet a lot of people there.

Entrepreneurship for Non-Business Majors:  Anyone can be an entrepreneur and everyone should learn what it takes to be one. The lessons or the process of starting a business will teach students life long lessons that can be applied to any field and their personal life.

Krisha enjoying nature while in Yosemite National Park (2018).

If you would like to learn more of Krisha’s story, you can follow her on Twitter.

If you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!