John Whiteman

John Whiteman

January 1, 2019

John T.M. Whiteman (2018)

John T. M. Whiteman practices in the areas of bankruptcy, entrepreneurial, and tax law.  He is currently Legal Counsel for the Missouri Department of Revenue. In his first year with the Department, John received special recognition from the General Counsel for his exceptional work. John has been crucial to the Department’s Summer Legal Internship Program. Prior to joining the Department, John worked with entrepreneurs in the mid-Missouri region. He earned his Juris Doctor and Tax Planning Concentration, with honors, from the University of Missouri School of Law in Columbia, MO. While at Mizzou Law, John was active in student leadership, journal, and pro-bono activities.

What year did you graduate and what was your concentration?

I graduated in 2013 with a concentration in Public Communication.

What extra-/co-curricular activities did you do?

I participated in Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, Toastmasters International, Marching Statesmen Band, and Concert Band.

John (back, left) in a Phi Mu Alpha family photo (2012).

Did you go to grad school? If so, where?  Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

Yes.  I went to the University of Missouri School of Law immediately after Truman.  Law school was always the goal, so I thought, “why wait?”

What was your first job after graduation?

After graduating from Truman I went straight into law school at the University of Missouri. After passing the Uniform Bar Exam, my first job was Legal Counsel for the Missouri Department of Revenue.

What work do you do/What are you doing now?

I manage a caseload of Ch. 11, 12, 15, and 9 bankruptcies in which the department is a creditor. Additionally, I help to organize and supervise the Department’s Summer Legal Internship Program. A lot of my time is spent researching, advising, and consulting with other Department employees on internal and external policy matters.

John & his partner Kelsey at the Hartsburg Pumpkin Festival (2018).

How has your Liberal Arts/COMM education helped you?

Critical thinking and analysis, interpersonal communication, inductive and deductive reasoning, and ethical persuasion techniques are just some of the skills that I developed during my time at Truman.  All of which I find myself drawing upon on any given day.

Which class did you dislike at the time you took it, but now you’re grateful you took it?

Most of the LAS classes, but I’ll pick on World Religions.  I believed the class would be a waste of time and I was only taking it to check the box for graduation.  While I did not appreciate it at the time, the way the professor taught the class taught me how to reserve my personal bias/prejudice while critically evaluating a subject.  Additionally, the exposure to other cultures gave me more empathy and understanding for people with different beliefs than me.

What was your greatest accomplishment at Truman?

John at Phi Mu Alpha’s annual piano smash fundraiser (2011).

Graduating (ha, ha).  Second to that would be founding the Truman chapter of Toastmasters International. Toastmasters International is a social organization that focuses on improving public speaking and leadership skills in its members.

Why is Truman a good place for a student to study?

The culture of academic excellence at Truman appeals to students who are dedicated to their goals.  That dedication means that Truman students know how to work when it is time to work, and play when it is time to play.  Being around other students who understand work time vs. play time means there are less distractions and more motivation to keep you focus on your studies and goals.

What would you say a COMM student should absolutely do while at Truman?

Go to as many career/networking events as you can.  There are so many job opportunities available to people with COMM degrees that it can be confusing.  I think the best way to learn about what you want to do is to talk with practitioners who are actively doing that thing.  Even if you absolutely know what you are going to do, talk to some practitioners to verify that is the right occupation for you.

John (right) & friends graduating from law school (2016).

What advice would you give someone who wants to go into the same line of work as you?

Don’t be in a rush to go to law school. Working at a law firm, or the public sector, for a few years will give you skills and perspective that will make law school easier when you do go. Feel free to reach out to me if you are thinking about a legal career and have some questions.  Professor Elizabeth Wiles, in Truman’s Justice Systems Program, would also be a great person to talk to.

What do you miss most about campus/Kirksville?

Being able to walk, almost, everywhere.  Living on the edge of Columbia and working in Jefferson City means I spend a lot of time in my car. While it was nice to have the freedom that comes with a car at Truman, it is by no means needed.

If you could come back to Truman and teach a class for a semester, what would be its title and what would it be about?

Daily Negotiations.  It would use economics, persuasion theory, interpersonal communication, and alternative dispute resolution to teach students how to identify the value in a transactions and maximize the transactions efficiency.

If you want to learn more about John’s story or about the Department of Communication, contact us!