Sara Kluba

Sara Kluba

November 27, 2018

Sara Kluba (2018).

Sara Kluba is an Event Manager for Sporting Kansas City and has been with the team for just over a year. Prior to Sporting Club Events, she worked in the Kansas City community for the past 4 years at an event management company and a local area non-profit. Transitioning to the sports and sales world has been an exciting adventure.  Outside of work, Sara enjoys watching as many Sporting games as she can, running, and hanging out with her dog, Khaleesi.

I graduated from Truman in 2012 with a Bachelor of Arts in Communication with a concentration in Public Communication and a minor in Business Administration. I then continued my education at Truman and graduated in 2014 with a Master of Arts in Leadership.

My junior I was the social chair and my senior year I was the President of Lambda Pi Eta. I was honored to be apart of the honors society for the Communication major. I also helped in a lot of the planning for Communication Week my senior year. I worked with Dr. Clark in facilitating COMM 250 and loved helping those on the fence about the major decide to continue it forward. Other than that, I worked as much as I could. I threw everything into learning more and helping where I could at the SUB with my event internship.

Did you go to grad school? If so, where?  Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

Yes, I stayed at Truman. I did this because I was offered an assistantship through the (then) Truman Institute. I was able to stay at Truman, earn a graduate degree for free, and advance my skill sets for my career in events. My other option was to stay at Truman and work as an Admissions Counselor. I knew both were fantastic for me regardless, but ultimately ended up choosing education as my option since I didn’t think I would be offered this opportunity again.

First, as a part of my graduate program, I worked for Vista Productions, Inc. as an event production intern. This role brought me to Kansas City, where I still am today. Vista also paved the way for my first full time job at an event company called EPIC Innovative Events. I was with EPIC for 2½ years and I soaked everything up like a sponge. This first job allowed me to learn so much about the event world. I changed roles within the company as well and established a foundation for my events career.

Sara (middle) and coworkers at a SKC event (2018).

I currently work for Sporting Kansas City as an Event Manager and I absolutely love what I do. As an Event Manager, my job is to sell all three of our venues on non-game days. I work with my clients from sales to execution and everything in between. The events that my team and I execute can be everything from a small meeting, large conferences, social outings, gradations & proms, etc. I started off with Sporting Kansas City as a part time associate in the beginning of the summer in 2017. I worked hard and proved myself to my now Senior Director and was offered a full-time position by fall of that same year.

Working in sports and sales has been extremely gratifying. It is a constant grind, more is always expected of you, there are long hours, but at the end of the day, there is something about the process and seeing it really work that makes me constantly hungry for more. Say “hi” next time you are out at Children’s Mercy Park or let me know if I can help you with your next event!

My Communication degree and liberal arts education helped me tremendously in building and establishing a great foundation. Even more than that, Truman itself helped me. Since Truman is a smaller school, I had incredible opportunities to get involved and make a difference. I learned very quickly to ask lots of questions always continue to look for ways to learn and grow. Those skills have been undeniably valuable for the growth I have had in my career.

Sara (right) and a friend at SKC’s Children’s Mercy Park (2017).

Honestly, I cannot come up with a course for this one. There were some that were tougher than others, sure, but none that I completely disliked.

My greatest accomplishment at Truman was my part in creating two different internship programs. My sophomore year, I knew I was interested in events and pursing this further. Because of my professors, and mainly Dr. Self and Dr. Yaquinto, I was encouraged to ask questions around campus and to see where I could further these skills. So, one afternoon, I marched into the SUB and asked to speak with Dave Lusk, then the Director of the SUB. After our conversation, we continued to work together to develop an internship program

Sara (1st row, left side) involved acting like a resource for incoming freshmen as an orientation leader (2011).

There are tons of resources! And even more so, the professors are easily accessible. This is such an advantage for Truman students. You are not just a number in a sea of students. You truly are valued at Truman and the professors want to see you succeed. They are your absolute best resource.

Get involved with as much as you can and ask A LOT of questions! And make sure you do an internship to gain as much experience as possible. Employers are always looking for this and it can help you shape your path.

As I am sure many have already said before me, but get involved as much as you can. Also,  do as many internships as you can. This will give you experience that sets you apart from those you are competing with in the job market.

Also, be comfortable knowing that your dream job or the job you thought you always wanted might change, and that is completely okay! I never thought that I would love sales as much as I do. Now I cannot imagine event work without the sales piece. Trying and accepting new opportunities led me to my current role and I am learning something new every single day.

Oh! And you’re going to fail. A lot. Learning and being okay with this (especially as a Truman student), is an imperative in order to learn.

Sara (being squished on the right) with friends outside of Barnett Hall (2010).

I miss Truman and Kirksville and talk about going back for a visit all the time. I miss how small the town is and how you can walk everywhere. It was always fun seeing familiar faces across campus and town. If you haven’t visited The Wooden Nickel/Woody’s – go do so, my favorite place in town!

Something in event or hospitality management!

If you would like to learn more of Sara’s story, or if you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!