Jared McNett

Jared McNett

August 21, 2018

Jared McNett (2018).

Jared is a voracious consumer of all things pop culture. A possessor of numerous pieces of useless knowledge and trivia. A basketball obsessive. He notes that depression doesn’t define you and prefers the A/C to the outdoors. He is rarely seen without headphones. Jared fancies himself a second-tier writer ambling up the ladder. Yes, he runs a music blog and, no, he doesn’t want your unsolicited album of shoddy electronica. Forever in a Kansas City state of mind. Once run over by the Amish. Met Rick Santorum at a Pizza Ranch in 2012.

What year did you graduate and what was your concentration?

I graduated in 2013 with a concentration in Journalism.

What extra-/co-curricular activities did you do?

I was on the Truman Academic Competition Organization (yes, TACO) for four years and I was a DJ at KTRM for three-and-a-half years.

Did you go to grad school? If so, where?  Was it immediately after you left Truman or did you wait?  Why?

Yes, I went to grad school at the University of Missouri and received an M.A. in magazine writing. I waited a year in part because I needed a break but also because I wanted to get a little more work experience, and funding, before going.

What was your first job after graduation?

Jared and musician Julien Baker (2018).

Working as a general editor for Paste Magazine’s website. While there, I edited and wrote stories about music, movies, television, politics, food and alcohol.

What work do you do/What are you doing now?

Currently working as a freelancer whilst running a music blog (AllFreshSounds), that I started while at Truman.  AllFreshSounds serves up reviews, concert logs, breaking news, and listicles. When not covering all things music, I co-host a movie podcast (WatchIf) with a few journalism friends that mostly serves as an opportunity to make fun of movies such as Ready Player One.

How has your Liberal Arts/COMM education helped you?

Jared in his dope coat (2011).

It certainly broadened my perspective in a way that has immensely helped my writing. Anyone who writes about culture should see and understand how even the most disparate things can be connected. Receiving a liberal arts education aided in that.

Which class did you dislike at the time you took it, but now you’re grateful you took it?

Dislike wouldn’t exactly be the right word, but I wasn’t the biggest fan of the Political Communication class when I took it. Now, after the fact, I greatly value not only the knowledge gleaned in the class (I still have the textbooks) but also the opportunity to attend the 2012 Iowa Caucuses.

What was your greatest accomplishment at Truman?

Hosting a radio show that people seemed to dig (shout out to the 2ThouSounds) and leading Truman’s academic team to several national championship tourneys while navigating everything that my daily class schedule threw at me is a particular point of pride.

Jared hosting an academic tournament at Truman (2012).

Why is Truman a good place for a student to study?

Because the academic and work rigors will prepare you for damn near any situation you may face out in the “real world.”  Fully optimizing a liberal arts education will make you an appealing job candidate in a whole host of fields. Also, it’ll hopefully make you sound a skosh smarter in conversations.

Jared says get involved…or else.

What would you say a COMM student should absolutely do while at Truman?

DJ at KTRM. Write for the Truman Media Network (TMN). Attend as many conferences and panels as possible. Take media criticism. See as many DIY and indie shows as possible. Never be afraid to ask for help if you’re feeling tired, drained or weary.

What advice would you give someone who wants to go into the same line of work as you?

Learn how to work in as many different mediums as possible. Be adept as a blogger, reporter, podcaster, editor, and writer. The more involved you are, the better.

What do you miss most about campus/Kirksville?

The interconnectedness of everything. Being able to walk almost anywhere. The hallowed train bridge. DuKum Inn. Round Barn Blues. The Aquadome. KTRM. Pickler’s Media Library (I still haven’t see a better collection of film anywhere else).

What tag line would you create for the COMM department at Truman?

“We know Barnett’s a long walk so stop complaining.” (editor’s note – it’s not that long)

“Learn how to communicate your own ideas and critique others.”

If you could come back to Truman and teach a class for a semester, what would be its title and what would it be about?

COMM 375- Music Journalism in the Age of Streaming:

The course would broadly focus on the modern day roles/duties/responsibilities of music journalists and more specifically look at how to keep up with and what to cover in this time of infinite content. (If you need a teacher for such a class, I know a guy.)

What did we not ask that you think is important for people to know?

Just how much the teachers care. I honestly cannot remember a time where I had a problem, looked for help and didn’t receive any from the faculty and/or staff. That’s not a common thing in life.

Santa Jared (2012).

If you would like to learn more of Jared’s story, you can follow him on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn.  You can find his work on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.

If you want to learn more about the Department of Communication, contact us!