What does it take to publish a magazine?November 3, 2015
I recently talked with the editor of The Business Times Co. in Columbia, MO, which publishes the Columbia Business Times, Columbia Home and Jefferson City Magazine. She is a Truman graduate and said her experience writing for the Index opened a lot of doors for her professionally.
The Business Times offers a number of summer internships which are unpaid but provide great experience. However, qualified interns may be paid for features and special projects. Work is available for all 3 magazines and each has a differing demographic which strengthens the experience.
Internships opportunities include:
• Editorial: responsibilities include writing daily news updates and departments.
• Multimedia: responsibilities include creating video, audio and photo slideshow projects for our websites.
• Event Planning: responsibilities include assisting with events to promote our company’s brand.
• Photography: responsibilities include photographing departments and features for the Columbia Business Times, Columbia Home and Jefferson City Magazine.
• Web: responsibilities include blogging; managing social media brands, including posting content, managing giveaways and audience engagement; as well as posting content to our WordPress sites.
• Design: responsibilities include designing magazine departments, working with photographs, designing advertisements and more.
As you can tell, there are opportunities for diverse majors. If you are interested, please send your resume, a cover letter specifying the internship(s) of interest, and work samples to Brenna@BusinessTimesCompany.com by February 15 for consideration.
Polly Matteson, Career Center Assistant Director