Internship Spotlight: Isabel Kurzban

Internship Spotlight: Isabel Kurzban

September 10, 2019

Isabel Kurzban is a senior accounting and business administration major (finance and marketing concentrations) at Truman. This past summer, she had an incredible internship experience in Italy! Below are details of her adventures from her perspective:

1. Location: Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Milan, Italy
  2. Short Description: The experience was unlike anything I’ve ever done before. I met some incredible people from all over the world and learned so much about the hotel industry.
  3. Discovered opportunity: I reached out to my grandmother who works in the travel industry and she forwarded my resume to the general manager of the hotel. I then had an interview and the next thing I knew, I was in Milan!
  4. Work responsibilities: At the hotel, I was responsible for the daily closing activities. I had no idea how much goes into the daily operations of a hotel until I started to think about this on a greater scale. At the Mandarin Oriental Milan, we were just one hotel, and we had so much work to do on a daily basis. Mandarin operates all over the world. Plus, this is a five-star hotel chain, so it takes an incredible amount of money to operate each day. Michelin Star restaurants alone are their own operation and then add in the spa and daily events. It’s an immense amount of work.
  5. Advice: My biggest piece of advice to anyone who wants to travel the world is to just do it and to do it alone. I loved the moments I had alone in such beautiful places. I’m not sure I really knew what to expect going into the summer. I knew that it would be a long time to be away from home. I wasn’t sure how I would feel once I got there. But I was able to make Milan my home. I found the city incredibly livable. I joined a gym, shopped at a local market, and learned how to use the subway system. I was totally alone in a completely foreign place. It was terrifying but also exhilarating. I explored Milan and other Italian cities on my own terms. I visited the Last Supper after eating at my favorite pizza place. I left work one day and went to get Italian/Chinese fusion dim sum. I even took cooking classes. I was able to see the world from a different point of view. I am so grateful for that.
  6. Favorite part: My favorite trip I took was to Lake Como my last weekend in Italy. I stayed at the Grand Hotel Tremezzo by myself in a suite. I ate an incredible dinner on the terrace overlooking the lake. I also took an afternoon trip to Bellagio where I met an old retired couple from Australia. They invited me to have coffee with them and we shopped around. It was the little things that made my time in Italy so special. This past summer is one that I will never forget.