Study Abroad Spotlight: Maggie Rice, senior accounting major

November 26, 2018

Maggie Rice had the opportunity to study abroad in the Czech Republic.  Maggie shares, “ I studied abroad the Spring semester of my sophomore year at the University of New York in Prague, in the Czech Republic. With this being my first European adventure, I had no clue what to expect, but these small expectations were far exceeded during my four months abroad! The school schedule at University of New York in Prague, differs from Truman in that each course meets once a week for three hour increments. I took Managerial Accounting, Czech Language, General Psychology, and International Business courses. Although my courses were all English-speaking, I still had the chance to interact with students from all over Europe, making close friends from the United Kingdom, France, and the Czech Republic. I was able to schedule my classes during the middle of the week, allowing for long weekends which gave me time to travel. During the weekends, I traveled to Hungary, Italy, Ireland, Spain, Austria, Slovakia, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Germany. Although I enjoyed traveling, I loved having Prague as my home base. My apartment building was within two blocks of school and all major forms of transportation. I became familiar with their public transportation systems used such as the tram, metro, and bus, which definitely took some time to get used to. Weather in Prague during my time was similar to Kirksville, being cold for the majority of my stay so luckily for me that was not an adjustment. My favorite Czech dish, was a fried cheese sandwich, which I quickly found to be a staple on nearly every menu. But I found the best fried cheese at a street vendor, costing me the equivalent of two American dollars. Around this same location, I could find my favorite dessert and another Czech staple called the trdelnik. A trdelnik is grilled, rolled dough covered in cinnamon and sugar, and topped sometimes topped with nutella or ice cream. Although I enjoyed the food, studying abroad gave me many opportunities to meet new people, grow more independent, budget my money in different currencies, and showed me there’s a lot more to see outside of my bubble.”