Internship Spotlight: Christian Shearer, Senior Business Administration major (Management and Marketing Concentrations)

October 9, 2018

This summer, Christian interned with the Gateway Grizzlies, an independent baseball team in Sauget, Ill.  Christian shared the following about his internship experience:

“I applied for the job through an online website called TeamWork Online that posts different internship opportunities in the sports industry.  My specific role with the team was working on the corporate side of this organization. Throughout the summer my duties and responsibilities included representing over one hundred corporate and family clients, writing proposals, and writing proof of performances for these clients. One major thing I learned on the corporate side was that when I was tasked with approaching different prospective corporate clients, not every sponsorship package is going to fit their specific needs or wants. I found that it is best to be familiar with the specific type of company and their size when proposing possible sponsorship opportunities through the Gateway Grizzlies. I would continually practice vertical marketing for the variety of theme nights throughout the season by initiating sales processes through leads and cold calling prospective clients.

I got the privilege of also creating my own theme night. The theme night I created was Jurassic Park. I successfully got a sponsor for the night who helped us do a drawstring bag giveaway. I would also help in the box office operations including will-call, online ticketing, pre-sale orders, walk-up windows, and handling all other inquires.

During games I would run our 12 party suites to ensure that our clients were taken care of during each game. My two favorite nights of the year were St. Louis Browns night and Squints night. On St. Louis Browns night, we were able to have a St. Louis Browns historian at the game as well as a former Browns player who was the last player in the team’s history to record a hit and RBI for the franchise. On Squints night we were able to have the actor Squints from the movie The Sandlot at the game. On this night I was able to help run the VIP meet and greet session.”