Informal Survey for the Course

Informal Survey for the Course

April 27, 2009

Hello Class,

As I mentioned in the last email, I would like your CONSTRUCTIVE feedback on the course. If you could post comments to the following four questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, don't feel you have to leave your real name or email address when posting your comments!

1. What did you enjoy about the course? Give specifics.
  2. What didn't you enjoy about the course? Remember, writing is required for it to be "Writing Enhanced" so don't say you didn't enjoy that part without giving writing alternatives.
  3. What would you like to see covered in the class that wasn't? What would you have liked to have been covered more? Covered less?
  4. General comments that don't fit into the above questions.

8 Responses to Informal Survey for the Course

1. helvetica says:

1. Everything! the history behind all of the processes we use today as graphic designers (type, photography, old-school paste-ups, computer and how it go to be the way it is today) was really cool. it was nice to look at design outside of what i usually think about (architecture and such) and how it related to printed design.
    2. While i fully enjoyed and appreciated that the mid-term and final were in the same format as the weekly quizzes, i feel that i could have learned more if i had to study for a slightly more formal test. which would make me more knowledgeable and remember more overall.
    3. unfortunately i feel what i do know about design all came from your class, so i have no recommendations.
    4.youre awesome.

2. ... says:

1. The writing, mostly. The course gave me the opportunity to research topics I’m interested on, on my own terms.
    2. It’s less a dislike than a slight pet peeve. The text and your lectures occasionally did not match up in terms of the content and facts. You mentioned in one lecture that this was the fault of the text, but other times said nothing at all. I’d say that if the textbook is flawed, that you should either find another to use, or make note of the errors as you are lecturing, rather than simply contradicting it. It was a little confusing at times.
    3. So much of the earlier history is covered in Modern Art in terms of artwork. I think that covering the techniques and how they were later incorporated into contemporary design would be perhaps more insightful.
    4. That’s about it. I did enjoy the class!

3. ! says:

1. I really enjoyed the test and quiz formats. They took the pressure off a lot so that learning was more enjoyable.
    2. I have a weak stomach for pictures of aids sufferers, so the slides in that lecture lasted a little too long for me, but that might just be me. I’m not saying we shouldn’t be exposed to those types of issues, it was just a bit much to me.
    3. …
    4. Awesomeness agreed.

4. MK says:

1. I really enjoyed the lectures; I thought they were interesting and informative. The quizzes helped me make sure I did the readings, but because they were open book, it was stress-free. That was very, very helpful!
    2. I think the discussion day we had didn’t go very well. I think it was a good idea, and I would have liked to have more discussions, but maybe on more focused topics throughout the semester. Also, I don’t know if this is possible with Writing Enhanced requirements, but I’d almost rather have had a bunch of shorter writing assignments throughout the semester about various topics than one or two longer papers. But maybe that’s just me.
    3. I can’t really think of anything that we didn’t cover that I thought we should, except maybe it would have been nice to have more time devoted to the present like we are doing now. I also was disappointed you skipped the best/worst dressed list from the Oscars. Right, Gary? 🙂
    4. Overall, I’m really glad I took the class. I learned a lot. I third the awesomeness.

5. V says:

1. I enjoyed the entire format of this course. The lectures were interesting and informative. I feel I learned more from the open book quizzes and it was not as stressful or intimidating. I liked the choice and variety of visual examples used.
    2. I know we are not supposed to discuss the writing issue, but it really was what I enjoyed the least. I do understand it is a W.E. class and I did appreciate the freedom to do two shorter papers or extend the topic into one longer one. I hate to admit I only learned how to do a running endnote during the second half of my paper and that is something I would have loved to known about sooner! I have written several Chicago style papers now and had always done the endnotes manually, which makes rearranging a nightmare. So that would be a big positive that came from my paper writing experience for this class.
    3. I enjoyed the discussion day and learned a lot from my group’s comments. We had a very good mix of majors in the group and I think it would have been fun to have a few more days devoted to discussing current design topics.
    4. I did not have prior knowledge to most of the material and enjoyed both the topic and the way it was presented. I would recommend this class and am glad I took it.

6. Tara says:

1. I really like our group discussion! It was interesting to see eveyone’s opinion and I would recommend you do something like that again!I also like all the videos we watched, they helped the class stay exciting and provided us w/ examples to relate to when you were talking about a certain movement/ artist.
    2.The lectures did sometimes get a little boring and long, but I understand that sometimes it is hard to present the material in a different way other than talking and giving powerpoint presentations.
    3. Probably cover less on typography and the printing press at the beginning, maybe just a brief summary. Also, all the technological inventions/inventors we covered towards the end I think we spent a perfect amount of time on that. Overall, I think the class was pretty well structured!
    4. Thanks for offering us the opportunity to take this class, I feel like I know a lot more about designers and the roots of design
    ! It was one of the best classes I took this semester!

7. AN says:

What did you enjoy about the course? Give specifics.
    I liked the subject matter and the fact that it was a pretty laid-back style of teaching but I still learned a lot.
    What didn’t you enjoy about the course? Remember, writing is required for it to be “Writing Enhanced” so don’t say you didn’t enjoy that part without giving writing alternatives.
    I guess the length of the second paper was what I disliked most. I would have rather written more smaller papers.
    What would you like to see covered in the class that wasn’t? What would you have liked to have been covered more? Covered less?
    I think more stuff from today would have been pretty cool. Maybe less stuff on certain artistic movements like Art Nouveau since we can get that in Modern Art, though I understand how you can’t really talk about something after Art Nouveau without talking about it first.
    General comments that don’t fit into the above questions.
    It was a good class. I hope Truman keeps it after you’re gone. Thanks for making and impact while you were here!

8. Bodoni says:

1. The videos were nice.
    2. I agree that there were too many discrepancies between your lectures and the texts, as well as between your quiz questions and the texts.
    3. The new media stuff was sort of squished all into the end of the semester. New media is more pertinent to a majority of us, so more focus on that would have been helpful.